New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What makes it better?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

What makes a Mac better than a PC based computer? I'm doing price checks on other notebooks, since price is an issue. Now the Macbook pro that i customized turns out to be $2300, and i go to Dell or HP and it's below $2000. So what do you all think?

Edit: i actually compared prices with Dell and HP, and i put the same things as would go into the MAC, and they turned out to be $2815, and $3163 respectively. Why would Mac be less in this case?
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

I think that if price is your only requirement you had better go to dell and get you a pc and forget about a Mac.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

There's no good answer to that, at least not one that won't turn into a 5 page debate.

Macs are well built, well supported, probably most importantly OSX is very secure without needing to handcuff the user. They'll also run Windows if you want them to.

PCs are more common, so it's possibly easier to get support for them. More people use Windows. It's simpler to attach a PC notebook to a Windows network than a Mac - you can do it, but there are more hoops to go through, and if there's a proxy server / firewall it can get a little beyond a casual users comfort level.

It's worth spending an hour reading through the switchers forum, there's lots of info there, but bear in mind you're on a Mac forum so you'll see a natural bias toward Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
What makes a Mac better than a PC based computer?
A Mac is a Personal Computer based computer.
(sorry, personal pet peeve. PC does not necessarily equate to only Windows, regardless of what the media and advertisers say and print)

If you're asking if Mac OS is better than Windows, it isn't. And Windows isn't better than Mac OS.

It simply comes down to which one you prefer and are most comfortable with.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

No viruses
No spyware
You may think the operating system looks clearer and more attractive
Simpler to use
Quicker startup time
Easier to launch programs
Better font management
Genuinely useful features like Expose (ways of laying out windows at the touch of a mouse button)
No nannying
Cleaner web browser
Better use of the space in widescreen monitors
Easier control panel to navigate
Widgets

etc etc.
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

does depend on personal preference. One OS may be better in the business field than the other, but as far as ease of use, it depends really on what you learn on first, because if you start with one over another it will be a pain to switch. I have used both and think MAC OS is much better because of the ease of use and the user flow with the unix based concepts.. TIGER is incredible, but it depends. ALso the MBP will do everything the Dell and HP will, except the mac won't break down nearly as much or at all in many cases, though not all ! and is lighter and thinner than both..

-MAC is beautiful
QUOTE Thanks
Nicholi

Nicholi is on a distinguished road

Can't believe no one has said iLife yet.

iLife is a huge reason i'm looking Mac when the MacBook Pro's get updated. Really really good software is hard to come by. Really good software that works with other really good software seamlessly is stuff of dreams.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead" -- Charles Bukowski
QUOTE Thanks
Hellerphant

Hellerphant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16ghz, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hdd|iBook- 800mhz, 512Ram, 30gb HDD

Amen to that, I switched yesterday and I love my new mac, and iLife is an awesome set of features, don't know if I'll lash out to buy a dot mac account yet ($129 here in Aus) but I will definately consider it
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
What makes a Mac better than a PC based computer? I'm doing price checks on other notebooks, since price is an issue. Now the Macbook pro that i customized turns out to be $2300, and i go to Dell or HP and it's below $2000. So what do you all think?

Edit: i actually compared prices with Dell and HP, and i put the same things as would go into the MAC, and they turned out to be $2815, and $3163 respectively. Why would Mac be less in this case?
Mac's are not better than PC's, they are just different. Its like trying to say a Honda is better than a Toyota.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Can't believe no one has said iLife yet.

iLife is a huge reason i'm looking Mac when the MacBook Pro's get updated. Really really good software is hard to come by. Really good software that works with other really good software seamlessly is stuff of dreams.
Software (iWeb) that forces you to use really crappy software (iPhoto) sucks.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Its like trying to say a Honda is better than a Toyota
But Toyotas are boring and Hondas are better actually!! LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Software (iWeb) that forces you to use really crappy software (iPhoto) sucks.
iWeb forces you to use iPhoto? Not on my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Gazmaz

Gazmaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
No viruses
No spyware
You may think the operating system looks clearer and more attractive
Simpler to use
Quicker startup time
Easier to launch programs
Better font management
Genuinely useful features like Expose (ways of laying out windows at the touch of a mouse button)
No nannying
Cleaner web browser
Better use of the space in widescreen monitors
Easier control panel to navigate
Widgets

etc etc.
Can I have this clarified NO SPYWARE, I assume that means NO SPYWARE if you use Safari surely if you use Firefox you could pick up Spyware, or does the fact that your using OSX mean that they are useless?
Sorry I still haven't got a MAC yet and these sorts of Q's are natural Windows users nightmares.
I have just come back from holiday and spent FAR TOO long updating virus definitions running spyware and the rest what a time saver if I don't have to think about that!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmaz View Post
Can I have this clarified NO SPYWARE, I assume that means NO SPYWARE if you use Safari surely if you use Firefox you could pick up Spyware, or does the fact that your using OSX mean that they are useless?
Search string = "spyware":

Do you use an anti-virus/spyware program?

Spyware and Adware?

adaware and spam

Anti_Virus?

Afraid to switch

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Mac Security

Broadband / firewalls / anti-virus?

How's that for confirmation??

(and that is only 8 out of over 500 threads that deal with the fact that currently, there is simply no spyware for Mac OS X)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Gazmaz

Gazmaz is on a distinguished road

Alexis on this thread gave me the answer I was looking for
Thanks

Spyware and Adware?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Driving me crazy! | parallels and viruses »