New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Best Windows emulator?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sims5487

sims5487 is on a distinguished road

Now that I've gotten a Mac, I'd like to get an emulator so that I can run Windows XP as well, as I've heard so much about. There are a ton out there, so I thought I'd just come on here and get a few recommendations. Your thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hey Sims,

Welcome to the Forums.

I personally use Parallels on my MacBook and it works real good. The install was painless, just click 1 button and in under 1 hour windows xp was up and running.

It works well if u wanna multi task without the reboot of the Mac to switch between Mac OS X and Windows XP, unlike Boot Camp which makes u reboot to do the switch. But then again, with parallels there is no support for Direct X which limits u wen it comes to gaming, so that depends on ur prefrences and purpose of using windows on Mac.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

The two big players are Parallels, as mentioned, and VMWare workstation. I have lots of experience with VMWare on Linux, but I run Parallels on my personal Macbook to do Windows like things. They are very similar in what, and how they do to give you a 'Windows in a window' thing.

VMWare claims that they will be adding 3D support but I am not sure where they are regarding that, or how well the performance of any 3D apps would be in any case. Games are at the bleeding edge as it is.

Parallels Desktop, however, works very nicely for any of my Windows needs.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims5487 View Post
There are a ton out there, so I thought I'd just come on here and get a few recommendations. Your thoughts?

A Ton? Like what?

I've heard of a few, but a ton?

If you're on an Intel Mac, why emulate when the real thing is better?

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims5487 View Post
Now that I've gotten a Mac, I'd like to get an emulator so that I can run Windows XP as well, as I've heard so much about. There are a ton out there, so I thought I'd just come on here and get a few recommendations. Your thoughts?
Your options are Parallels, if you want to run Windows in a virtual machine or Boot Camp, if you don't. Parallels runs around $80 + the cost of Windows (you'll need a retail or non-vendor-specific copy of Windows XP - and no, you can't use one that you've already installed on another machine). Boot Camp is a public Beta that is free.

If you're running a PPC (non-Intel) Mac, your only option is Virtual PC.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
y04chs067

y04chs067 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 30GB 5.5G iPod | 2.16GHz MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo

there are only 3 choices for intel macs (which I assume you got since you stated you got it recently) and they are:
1. Parallels
2. VMWare Fusion
3. Bootcamp

I have used all 3 of them, the most satisfying is probably Bootcamp, since I basically only play games on my XP =P
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

What kind of applications do you intend to be running under windows?

For basic stuff and not 3d hardcore apps (like games), I would go with Paralles Desktop, as you can use it while running OS X, without the need to reboot your computer and do a dedicated boot for the selected OS.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by y04chs067 View Post
there are only 3 choices for intel macs (which I assume you got since you stated you got it recently) and they are:
1. Parallels
2. VMWare Fusion
3. Bootcamp

I have used all 3 of them, the most satisfying is probably Bootcamp, since I basically only play games on my XP =P
Thank you, those are the only 3 I could think of.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FireFox PC bookmarks to my MAC? | printer sharing problem »