New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Best Email Client?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

What do you guys find is the best email client to use with Mac Mail... and just in general? Of the free ones I assume gmail... anything else worth lookin at? I don't mind paying less than $50/year for something else if it's better. Yahoo mail plus is $20/yr or $35/yr with your own domain name which I think would be pretty cool to have. How would that compare to gmail?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Dario D.

Dario D. is on a distinguished road

If you like Outlook, you could try Mozilla Firebird (the email counterpart for Firefox, which I also love way better than Safari)
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario D. View Post
If you like Outlook, you could try Mozilla Firebird (the email counterpart for Firefox, which I also love way better than Safari)
It's actually Thunderbird... not Firebird.

It is a pretty cool program though I plan on using Mac Mail so what I meant was what email account program?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Go with the one that tracks your every move, correlates cookies with web bugs, data-mines you back to nursersy school and keeps it all for only 2,000 years instead of 3,000 years.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I use GMail and have no issues with it. Theres enough storage space that I can download the e-mails in Mail.app and leave the e-mails on the server so I can access them using gmail.com wherever I am

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Go with the one that tracks your every move, correlates cookies with web bugs, data-mines you back to nursersy school and keeps it all for only 2,000 years instead of 3,000 years.
Is that a hit at Google Mail?

Anyway I find it hard myself to know which company to go with that enables POP3 Forwarding so you can download the Mail to an App like Thunderbird or OSX Mail.

I'd aviod going with your ISP anyway, as if you are anything like me it's just a pain in the *** when you switch ISP's.

So if you like Data being Stored and Advertising go with GMail otherwise hit up Mac Mail..

Sorry I couldn't help you with more than that.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

If you like Gmail, check out Mailplane soon.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I use what comes with my ISP which is Yahoo for the normal mail but use google mail for the rest.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
If you like Gmail, check out Mailplane soon.
I signed up for the beta a few weeks ago. Still waiting to hear back

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
Is that a hit at Google Mail?
Not especially. They're all the same. Google, at least, didn't kowtow to the U.S. government when it demanded all those names.

But the fact that using them means voluntarily handing over your life to some faceless corporate entity with its tentacles everywhere on Earth and that tracks your every move, or tries to . . . well, obviously not many care. But I keep it in mind when replying to emails, too.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you have a domain name and a rent a server, you can administer your own mail. You setup the accounts, passwords, limits, filters and so on. Really very liberating once you get it figured out. The best part it it is ISP independent.

QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

I've got loads of email addresses - for business and personal use.

For personal/family use I got the domain www.maccoll.eu - got my own dedicated server anyway - so use alex [at] maccoll [dot] eu

Well my name is Alex MacColl so yknow...

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

You can also get a free AOL E-Address. They will give you a free .com domain, the problem is that you do not own it, and you can not swwitch it to another host. To sign up, just visit https://domains.aol.com/personaldoma...mainHomeSearch

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

GMail gets spammed pretty bad IMHO.

I just use the Mail that came on the computer through Comcast.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
If you have a domain name and a rent a server, you can administer your own mail. You setup the accounts, passwords, limits, filters and so on. Really very liberating once you get it figured out. The best part it it is ISP independent.
Yeah, that. I have a website with Earthlink (from back when they were Netcom, then Mindspring) and administer my own mail accounts for myself, my wife, and my brother in law. My ISP is Verizon and I just use Mail.app to handle multiple mailboxes.

Gmail I use for another purpose for which I don't necessarily want cluttering up locally.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« anymore random things like this? | New v refurb question that's really puzzling »