New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Other on logon window

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

futerfas

I keep seeing an "other" option at the logon window. What is it there for, and how can I get rid of it?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by futerfas
I keep seeing an "other" option at the logon window. What is it there for, and how can I get rid of it?
That is the root user! How can it be there if you didn't intentionally enable root user? That user has absolute control over the system so never log on line as root (other)
QUOTE Thanks
futerfas

I did enable the root user so i could do some sudo things in the terminal, i just didn't know why its there
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Okay.. then if you need or want to run commands in the terminal without being prompted for Admin password, log in as root, but never on line
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

In the system preferences, i believe under the login option. You can turn on or off the other login window.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You can also use it to log on as >console. Usefull for running without the GUI or for xwindows (not Apple's).
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Very powerful, root can execute changes with absolute permissions, so be careful! A tip: in Mandrake if you are on as root the display is bright red and there are warnings a good idea Since it's not so in Mac, I made my dock a different size and no magnify so I remember that I am on as root
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

to disable root user:
applications/utilities/netinfo manager/security menu/disable root user
try to avoid logging on as root user unless its nessesary. if you are not experienced you may damage your system big deal!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Superdrive: DVD burning quality?? | Sat at work on a Saturday waiting for my new G4 »