New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

thinking of switching-which notebook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdub

jdub is on a distinguished road

Hi i'm pretty new to the whole mac thing, but recently my windows notebook has been so riddled with problems that i've just had enough.

I was tempted to mac by trying out my mum's macbook which she has for he work, i found it really easy to use and reliable and decided mac was for me.

ive just got to decide which notebook to go for now. The macbook seems a really good deal, especially with its recent upgrades but the macbook pro seems to be alot of bang for your buck. Seeing as i'm planning to study architecture at uni next year i was wondering if i would need this extra power. (the mac site seems to advise the pro for architects)

thanks for any help.

john.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

I don't know much about what software you may be using as an architect, but I'm assuming that it may be graphically intensive. 3D models and rendering and such. In that case the Macbook Pro would be the way to go with it's dedicated video memory and the amount of memory that comes with it.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

MacBook doesnt have a video card, has less memory and several other things. MacBook Pro has a very good video card, better processor, more memory and a bigger hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
jdub

jdub is on a distinguished road

thanks, looks like the macbook pro then, better get saving.

Seeing as my term starts at the end of september i suppose i may as well wait till leopards release in october. Should there be a processer upgrade similar to the macbook coming?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does the MacBook come with a WebDesign tool? | Amazed. »