Kananigirl
    Fedex just dropped off
    My brother finally got his ibook, it arrived today one day before the estimated date.

He's new to Mac, switched from using Windoz. He's also getting free RAM and a free airport extreme card. Is there anything besides reading the manual that he should do? Change any settings or anything?

Now I want my 12" powerbook....

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    If he doesn't use Mac Janitor, then this (trust me, it's actually easy):
    repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

Kananigirl
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    If he doesn't use Mac Janitor, then this (trust me, it's actually easy):
    repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed
    Thanks! I will tell show him this post. We have to move the wire from one of the rooms, for the internet so I guess he can update or whatever else he's supposed to do.

I was looking at the HD wow...there's a lot of stuff on here out of 40 gigs, there is 27 gigs left?

WhitE_RabbiT
    what exact is the point of repairing permissions so frequently....sorry, but I'm unaware as to just what this does and why it is necesary

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kananigirl
    Thanks! I will tell show him this post. We have to move the wire from one of the rooms, for the internet so I guess he can update or whatever else he's supposed to do.

I was looking at the HD wow...there's a lot of stuff on here out of 40 gigs, there is 27 gigs left?
    Yeah, new Macs come with a lot of stuff!

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitE_RabbiT
    what exact is the point of repairing permissions so frequently....sorry, but I'm unaware as to just what this does and why it is necesary
    Repair permissions is amazingly important. Incorrect permissions could allow access/modification of important system files resulting in loss of proper Admin control of the system - but that is a pretty bad case scenario

Kananigirl
    I was wondering is my brother supposed to go to Apple site and update prgs?

TylerMoney
    nah...he can update everything through the menu bar..though he shoulnd't have to update anything...they ship the new computers with the lastest versions.

Kananigirl
    Thanks I'll mention that to him.

nicholas
    Still worth trying though. I got my 17" powerbook not a few weeks ago, and I still needed a security update and the airport extreme updates.

Kananigirl
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas
    Still worth trying though. I got my 17" powerbook not a few weeks ago, and I still needed a security update and the airport extreme updates.
    I should tell him to go and look at the download page just in case.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kananigirl
    I should tell him to go and look at the download page just in case.
    Open the cute blue Apple menu and in the drop down menu choose 2nd down software update. Anything not on the system yet will show in the list Just check what you wanna install

Thread Information