New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Former Windows user needs help...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Toddfather

The Toddfather is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.16 GHz

Hi All,

I just purchased my first Mac, any thread suggestions for beginners? I was looking for a Mac for Dummies type thread that would offer help to a long time Windows user.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toddfather View Post
Hi All,

I just purchased my first Mac, any thread suggestions for beginners? I was looking for a Mac for Dummies type thread that would offer help to a long time Windows user.

Thanks!
Welcome to M-F.com. Congrats on your switch!

Check out the stickies in the Switcher subforum. We have a lot of switchers here and many questions have been asked, so be sure to take advantage of the Search feature.

For good reading material, I highly recommend Mac OS X: The Missing Manual.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I second cwa107's suggestion of The Missing Manual. I bought it a while ago and it's been a great help. It's chock full of useful tips and instructions. The author is correct, this manual really should have come bundled with your Mac

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

Thirded.

It was one of the first things I bought for my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
frazzm737

frazzm737 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac--OSX 10.6.7

Another great book for the new Mac user is "Switching to the Mac." It is part of the missing manual series. It shows you how to do the same things you did on the PC on your new machine.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toddfather View Post
have you looked here?

Mac-Forums Switchers F.A.Q. and Information

welcome to the forums!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Besides the 'missing manual' which I purchased a couple of weeks before my first Mac arrived about four years ago
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/work/
should help.
Have fun

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Sachsr1

Sachsr1 has a spectacular aura about

Helpful websites

iLife tutorials
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/

keyboard shorties
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

Mac OSX tips
http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/
QUOTE Thanks
The Toddfather

The Toddfather is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.16 GHz

You guys are awesome, thanks for the suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Woohoo! | Should I get a Mac book or Mac book pro for my needs? »