External HD and iPhoto
    every time i hook up my external hd to my macbook, iphoto starts up and thinks my external is basically a digital camera. needless to say it's annoying to have to quit iphoto every time. anyone know a way to make it stop?

thanks

Specs:
    iMac 17" 2GHz C2D 3Gb RAM 160 HDD; Macbook 2.2GHz; 4Gb RAM 160 HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    every time i hook up my external hd to my macbook, iphoto starts up and thinks my external is basically a digital camera. needless to say it's annoying to have to quit iphoto every time. anyone know a way to make it stop?

thanks
    It seems that when you plug the drive the system detects images on it and assumes it's a camera. In the iPhoto preferences there's an option labled "Start iPhoto when camera is connected" or something to that effect. Turn it off.
    Sorry can't tell you more precisely, since I'm currently at work with my PC laptop.

i appreciate your help but that option doesnt seem to be anywhere under preferences. although i am relatively new to mac i am pretty computer literate and that was the first place i looked when i first got my external. thanks again, perhaps i'm missing something still.

Specs:
    2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
    Quote Originally Posted by RCh View Post
    It seems that when you plug the drive the system detects images on it and assumes it's a camera. In the iPhoto preferences there's an option labled "Start iPhoto when camera is connected" or something to that effect. Turn it off.
    Sorry can't tell you more precisely, since I'm currently at work with my PC laptop.
    I think there maybe some confusion here. There is no such Preference in iPhoto.(Not that I've found anyway) However there is one in the app Image Capture which I use for my camera you can set it to no action when connected there... Maybe it's set to start iPhoto (An option)

I hope it helps

BINGO! Thank you so much!

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    That's a viable solution, but I wonder... now if he *does* connect a camera, iPhoto won't start up. It's not a calamity, but sure show that OS X's way of detecting and defining a "camera" isn't really good. In simple English, it sucks.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Thread Information