New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Out of the box iBook.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Orange

Question... With no other software included can the iBook do things like, word proc, excel, email, watch dvds, listen to music, surf the web, and if you can to this list of what it can do out of the box with now other software, that would be helpful...

thanks,
orange
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
Question... With no other software included can the iBook do things like, word proc, excel, email, watch dvds, listen to music, surf the web, and if you can to this list of what it can do out of the box with now other software, that would be helpful...

thanks,
orange
Yes, with the software included with an iBook, you can do word processing, create spreadsheets, databases, presentations, etc., and do all of the other things you mentioned. AppleWorks, which is the productivity suite included with the iBook, is more or less compatible with both M$ Word and Excel files as well. Besides upgrading to Panther a while back, I haven't had to purchase any additional software since I switched to Macintosh this past summer.

I just noticed that it sounds like you wanted a list of other things it can do. I'll give it a shot:

* AppleWorks - (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, drawing/painting, presentations)

* iTunes - Listen to music, buy music, rip music from CD's, and burn CD's.

* Mail - Well, it's an email program, so it's used for email.

* Safari - Web browsing

* iLife - Create music, sort and edit digital photos, edit videos, etc.

* Quicken - Keep track of your financial information

* iChat - Again, it's well, a chat program (compatible with AIM)

* World Book Encyclopedia - a very nice encyclopedia

* iCal - a calendar and syncing program

There's probably some things that I missed, but I think you get the idea.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Yes, with the software included with an iBook, you can do word processing, create spreadsheets, databases, presentations, etc., and do all of the other things you mentioned. AppleWorks, which is the productivity suite included with the iBook, is more or less compatible with both M$ Word and Excel files as well. Besides upgrading to Panther a while back, I haven't had to purchase any additional software since I switched to Macintosh this past summer.

I just noticed that it sounds like you wanted a list of other things it can do. I'll give it a shot:

* AppleWorks - (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, drawing/painting, presentations)

* iTunes - Listen to music, buy music, rip music from CD's, and burn CD's.

* Mail - Well, it's an email program, so it's used for email.

* Safari - Web browsing

* iLife - Create music, sort and edit digital photos, edit videos, etc.

* Quicken - Keep track of your financial information

* iChat - Again, it's well, a chat program (compatible with AIM)

* World Book Encyclopedia - a very nice encyclopedia

* iCal - a calendar and syncing program

There's probably some things that I missed, but I think you get the idea.

I can also watch dvds using idvd right? Does the mail program sync with a MS Exchange server? like Outlook?
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
I can also watch dvds using idvd right? Does the mail program sync with a MS Exchange server? like Outlook?
You can use DVD Player to watch, that comes w/ every Mac. I can't answer about the MS Exchange server, but I know that Mail works w/ pop3, imap, and (with shareware) httpmail addresses.
QUOTE Thanks
Orange

I know the just update the ibook... when do you think they'll update again?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Most of the product line Apple has, has been updated. The next items, to receive an update I believe will be the PowerMac and the iMac.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
I know the just update the ibook... when do you think they'll update again?
Well since it was just updated, the iBook line will not receive an update for some time. Anyway, why sit around and wait for another "update" in the line, if you want it/need it now then just get it now.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Orange

thats the thing... I dont really need it right now, i just want it right now... and since my student discount doesnt run out until sept 2004 I can wait until then.... but if the update happens after sept 2004 then I might as well buy the ibook now.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Well they just updated less than a month ago and apple's updates are usually 6-7 months so that would be around October November for the next update

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

MacRumors has a buyers guide you might want to look at.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

iBook now is pretty good seeing as the latest updates and OS X 10.3.3 is a total champ
QUOTE Thanks
Orange

i might just break down and buy one this weekend... my friend is buying my dell laptop for 750... so I guess I can get the ibook for under 1100 with airport after edu discount
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
thats the thing... I dont really need it right now, i just want it right now... and since my student discount doesnt run out until sept 2004 I can wait until then.... but if the update happens after sept 2004 then I might as well buy the ibook now.
The thing is, there will always be some sort of update or revision up ahead, it's just a matter of how many months. Does it really matter if it's 3 months or 6 months, etc? The only real difference is how long you're willing to be without a Mac. I noticed your last post stating that you'll probably get one this weekend. I think that's a great idea.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I really believe that Mac OS X as it is now is way better at being already up to date than either Linux or xpee.
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

I'm not entirely certain, but I remember hearing once that you'd need Entourage (the mac version of outlook) or Outlook Express to sync with an Exchange server. You may be able to find a 3rd party app that will let Mail do it for you.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fedex just dropped off | Comparisons... »