New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook or Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

hello,

I know this has been asked several times, but i am still unsure.

I am a windows user and have never entered the mac world, though i do have ubuntu running on one of my computers.

I am an experienced computer user, studying computer systems security. Im after a laptop that i can take around everywhere with me and use it for both work and leisure (not games)

I have been looking at both the macbook, and macbook pro... but i seem to prefer the normal macbook as its smaller and i think it looks nicer.

*What is better about the macbook apart from spec?
*does battery life differ between the two?
*is the normal macbook powerful and perfectly adequate for what i want?

I will be interested in using parralels, bootcamp and big applications like photoshop, dreamweaver etc..
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
*What is better about the macbook apart from spec?
Um, isn't that the only thing that's different really? Otherwise they'd be the same laptop.

Besides that, what made me pick the Pro was the dedicated video card/memory and the screen size. If you prefer a smaller laptop, and you don't plan on playing any intensive games, I'd think a Macbook would be fine.

Take a look at the specs and consider a PC with those, and you more or less know what you'd have with Boot Camp. Parallels of course is different since that's running on top of OS X so resources are going to be less.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yes, the specs. But the size difference...even with the 15" MBP that's quite a bit of laptop to lug about. The Macbook is quite nice to tote.

As to screen size I'm one who likes to have the biggest monitor that I can afford at the highest resolution it can display, and while I have the adapter that allows me to span to my huge external monitor while I'm at my desk I rarely use it. The internal screen is perfect for some reason.

Oh, sure I'll use the external monitor if I'm doing Photoshop work and certain audio editing tasks but the vast majority of the time my big monitor remains dark.

I really like the size of my Macbook. And it plays a few games too.

Hey, this is like the third thread I've responded to that you've posted!

Well, there's nothing wrong with that, but then I guess this is a pretty big decision.
QUOTE Thanks
KahluaFan

KahluaFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz, 512M RAM, 60GB HDD

I'd go with the Pro if you've got the extra cash, bit more solid build quality and higher specs, but like previous posts have suggested, if you don't need anything higher then go for a 13" macbook, portable, relatively powerful with the new cpus and look sexy!

Mac: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 60GB HDD, 512MB RAM
PC: AMD 64 3500+, 370GB HDD, 1GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT Extreme, Windows Vista Ultimate
iPods: 6G 80GB White Video, 2G 1GB Shuffle
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Two of the main differences you should consider when deciding to purchase either the MacBook Pro or MacBook is the size and video card. If you like a large screen, or use programs that use a significant amount of video ram, go for the MacBook Pro. If not, get the MacBook, you will save yourself money.

The MacBook Pro also has other "perks" tied to it that you might like, such as the backlit keyboard and dual layer dvd burner.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Bookmark Question | Deja vu backup help »