Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   How do I use iChat? (Jag) (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/6229-how-do-i-use-ichat-jag.html)

Bluewolf 05-03-2004 03:49 PM

How do I use iChat? (Jag)

I have already opened the application before and attempted to use it but that attempt was in vain, and it scared me off from using iChat.

I guess the question here really should be:
How do I correct what I have already entered into iChat; and
How do I use iChat?

I have tried using Mac Help, but I did not find anything useful that could help me out.

Any information on how I go about removing my first attempt at using iChat and then entering in my profile would be great.

Bluewolf

trpnmonkey41 05-03-2004 03:52 PM

You log onto iChat using an AOL/AIM sn or your .mac name.
There are no profiles in iChat so you can't add that

Bluewolf 05-03-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
You log onto iChat using an AOL/AIM sn or your .mac name.
There are no profiles in iChat so you can't add that

I have now signed in, I think, with my .mac name but the system is so different from that to MSN I have no idea how to use it. To make matters worse I have no idea whether I am online.

This may seem strange considering I can get to this website, but I am connecting through my University's proxy server. I think I have setup the correct things in preferences but I am not sure.

So I may or may not be online with my account, and I may or may not be talking to someone. >_<

trpnmonkey41 05-03-2004 04:12 PM

You can tell if you are online by the status thingy below your username. If you are online it will be a Green Circle and say online.....if you are offline it will say offline

Bluewolf 05-03-2004 04:22 PM

Quote:

You can tell if you are online by the status thingy below your username. If you are online it will be a Green Circle and say online.....if you are offline it will say offline

:confused: I have honestly no idea where that is. The only thing that I have when I go to File/New Chat With Person is a grey window with another smaller grey window sticking out of the left hand side.

trpnmonkey41 05-03-2004 04:25 PM

Press the Apple key + 1 to make your buddy list appear which is where you will see your buddies names and your status

Bluewolf 05-03-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Press the Apple key + 1 to make your buddy list appear which is where you will see your buddies names and your status

As soon as the buddy list popped up this came up as well:
AOL Instant Messenger is disabled You must enable the service to display the list

Should I enable this? Or press cancel?

EYPUFF 05-03-2004 04:46 PM

You'll probably want to enable it, so that you'll be able to see your buddies. Oh and I hope you do know that you don't have to use a .mac account, you can just use ur old AIM account.

EY

Bluewolf 05-03-2004 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYPUFF
You'll probably want to enable it, so that you'll be able to see your buddies. Oh and I hope you do know that you don't have to use a .mac account, you can just use ur old AIM account.

EY

After enabling the list I discovered that I am not connected to the internet. This is most likely due to the proxy server. Yet the strange thing is that with my PC MSN worked yet Mac MSN does not.

I think I can't handle yet another new IM for I am way beyond 13 :p

The AIM option does not exist I am afraid so its a .mac account for me.