New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

isp compatible with wireless broadband?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

david

i am the new owner of an ibook and intend to install an airport extreme card and base station. i want a broadband internet connection but have heard some popular isps aren't compatible with wireless broadband on apple machines. can anyone recommend a good, compatible isp?
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

I haven't heard that; it shouldn't matter if it's wireless or not but rather whether or not your ISP likes Mac's. All you should need to do is hook up your Cable/DSL modem directly to your computer first and make sure you can get online. After that, hook the modem up to the Base Station and make sure you select AirPort as your connection.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

AirPort (R) is nothing more than Apple's version of the industry-standard 802.11b standard (AirPort Extreme = 802.11g) The AirPort base station is mostly a collection of industry standards wrapped up in a nice Apple-style interface (with a large pricetag attached.)

The tech support people at your ISP may not know anything specifically about AirPort or Macs, but there probably won't be any techincal reasons why they won't work. For that matter, you could also use another company's base station (Linksys, for example, or D-Link, or whoever) with Apple AirPort cards in your computers. Your ISP might be more willing to help you with setting up one of those products.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i want to switch but... | I bought it! »