New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

my switching experience update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

plpete

plpete is on a distinguished road

well its been about 3 months since i got my MBP 2.0ghz core duo. as a laptop overall i have been very pleased. osx is great and the switch was pretty painless. recently i dealt with apple customer service to resolve some issues and they have been helpful too. after 37 cycles by battery refused to hold its charge for more than 5 mins and the health % went down to 1%. the battery also started seperating. the aluminum part to be more exact. i got the battery replaced and its good. also when i get home from school ill also have to drop by an apple store and repair another issue already approved by apple. a small buldge has developped right above the screen release button. from what i have read i am not the only one with this issue and apple agreed to repair it under warranty. however, about 5 mins ago when i picked up the laptop i noticed that the battery started to seperate again. the aluminum part started to lift of the battery itself. the battery is working perfectly and its at 100% health but the aluminum part. should i be alarmed by this? i have installed the battery update btw. As a laptop i have been very pleased with the MBP but i wish that the build quality was more solid and that dissapoints me a bit. after spending 2 grand on a quality machine i wasn't really expecting issues like that. is the aluminum being attached with glue? if so apple should have predicted something like that knowing that the MBPs run pretty hot as is. hopefully no new problems will arise.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

sorry, what do you mean by the battery is separting the aluminium ?
QUOTE Thanks
plpete

the part of the battery the sits on the outer side of the battry, where the battery check button is located. it is the same material as the case itself, that is the part that is seperating.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I'd take it back yet again. That is simply unacceptable.
QUOTE Thanks
RawfodoG

RawfodoG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram

Im with xstep. Your laptop is still under warranty and Im sure apple would be happy to replace it for your troubles.

However, from what it sounds like, it may be strictly a battery problem. If this is the case, i woudlnt expect a new laptop. But you never know
QUOTE Thanks
plpete

i will bring the battery problem to their attention when i take it in to get the bulge fixed. who know what they will do...as long as they do something. so far i have been pretty happy with their tech support. i guess as long as im nice to them they will treat me good.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

If you're having trouble with it and it's under warranty, don't even hesitate to get it fixed. Apple agreed to fix it when you bought it for 1 year, make them!!

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
plpete

ill definetally talk with them. i mean it is a brand new battery that i had for about 2 weeks and i didnt expect it to start seperating on me. maybe its something with the laptop. who knows. gotta love the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

Could it be from heat or something like that? It isn't LEAKING is it?

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
plpete

no the battery doens't leak...at least yet. im guessing its heat bc even though the battery is not being charged anymore the area around the battery is very hot, even to touch.
QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

That sucks. I vote for calling Apple and getting it fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
Phoenix Scanner

Phoenix Scanner is on a distinguished road

Lithium batteries don't "leak", they EXPOLODE in the worst cases. Get it replaced immediately.

Macbook 13" / 320GB 7200 RPM HD 16MB / C2D 2 GHZ / 2GB / Snow Leopard / Boot Camp / XP PRO SP3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Are these iMac upgrades worth the money? | iMac Monitors. »