New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I do a hard reset?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Magneto

Magneto is on a distinguished road

I would like to know how to completely reset my mac. I would like to take it back to when I first bought it. I haven't really downloaded any programs or anything that I need and I am in the process of backing up all my iTunes and pix on an external hard drive. I have the original systems discs but they are for 10.3 and I have updated my system to 10.3.9.

So, is there a way to take it back to new and start all over again?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

you can reset it back to "new" with your system discs..

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
I would like to know how to completely reset my mac. I would like to take it back to when I first bought it. I haven't really downloaded any programs or anything that I need and I am in the process of backing up all my iTunes and pix on an external hard drive. I have the original systems discs but they are for 10.3 and I have updated my system to 10.3.9.

So, is there a way to take it back to new and start all over again?
I guess all you need to do is use those system disks to reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X
QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

When I reboot the computer with the systems discs (holding down "C") it says I can't use the discs because a later version of OS X is installed. Any ideas on how I can do this but still maintain this version of OS X? Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

Bumpity Bump
QUOTE Thanks
MattGiaco

MattGiaco will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

You should be able to format and reinstall the original version of system software, even after updating it. I've done it myself.

At what point do you get the error? What options, if any, did you select?

"I want something light, like fettuccine alfredo."-Sylvia Fine
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

If you really want to erase the drive completely, start the computer from the install disk, and follow the process only to the second screen (with Tiger, at least). Maybe it's the third screen with Panther I don't recall.

Then go to the menu across the top to Utilities and choose Disk Utility. When Disk Utility is running, you can erase the disk. Then quit Disk Utility, at which point you can load the system. After it's loaded, go to Software Update so you'll be back where you were at 10.3.9.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

you can just run maintenance scripts and delete your caches and preferences to basically get your computer back to 'new'...common suggestion around here is that there is never a reason to do a reinstall unless something is seriously seriously seriously wrong with your os
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Magneto

How do I delete my caches and preferences from maintenance scripts? What I really want to do is just clean up my hard drive to new and reset all preferences to new. I guess running this maintenance scripts would do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Could my iMac have a virus? | Widgets on Desktop? »