New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Some questions...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lostinmysphere

lostinmysphere is on a distinguished road

So im definately going to switch to a mac. After using macs here and there i've decided to use this as my main computer when i go to uni in September. However i wondered if you could answer a few of my questions (i have tried searching the forums but i couldn't find anything to help me). I'm more than likely going to get a Powerbook 15" (the portability will be helpful, hence im not getting a desktop) with 512MB RAM 1 SO-DIMM, and the upgraded graphics card (128MB)

1. When writing documents what is the best software to use? What standard writing software does the mac (OS X) come with? (I haven't been able to find out on the main site).

2. I currently use Paintshop Pro for editing photos on my PC. I just wondered what you guys recommend using on the mac?

3. Is iMovie a good piece of software for compiling movies?

4. Are the Powerbooks going to be updated again before September? From what I understand the G5 won't be out until next year at earliest and will be mega bucks anyway. Is this latest upgrade the only one this year or will there be more offers/upgrades later in the summer?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
1. When writing documents what is the best software to use? What standard writing software does the mac (OS X) come with?
I am not sure if Appleworks comes pre-installed now. I am thinking the other application is Think Free Office, which you can find on version tracker or on Mac Update

Quote:
2. I currently use Paintshop Pro for editing photos on my PC. I just wondered what you guys recommend using on the mac?
I believe most will tell you Photoshop

Quote:
3. Is iMovie a good piece of software for compiling movies?
If you mean editting, then Imovie will work fine for the simple stuff.

Quote:
4. Are the Powerbooks going to be updated again before September? From what I understand the G5 won't be out until next year at earliest and will be mega bucks anyway. Is this latest upgrade the only one this year or will there be more offers/upgrades later in the summer?
I believe that the next updates wil be the iMac and the PowerMacs. I don't think we will see anything in the iBook or PowerBooks

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Ditto, I agree with all of the above, although Appleworks does come installed, so that's a good one for you. And you can get PHotoshop Elements if Photoshop is too expensive.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I am starting to remember, for item one I believe it is open office.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Ditto, I agree with all of the above, although Appleworks does come installed, so that's a good one for you.
Appleworks is a great application, but it only comes installed on Apple's "consumer" machines, not their "professional" ones. In other words, the PowerBook and Power Mac don't include it, but the iBook, eMac, and iMac all do.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Awww kewl! Thanks for that clarification!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

That explains why my wife's iBook has it and my PowerBook doesn't.

QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinmysphere
I'm more than likely going to get a Powerbook 15" (the portability will be helpful, hence im not getting a desktop) with 512MB RAM 1 SO-DIMM, and the upgraded graphics card (128MB)

1. When writing documents what is the best software to use? What standard writing software does the mac (OS X) come with? (I haven't been able to find out on the main site).
I agree w/ everyone on the other q's, but I wanted to put 2cents in on this one. Most word processors will work for most people. MS Word is the standard. Mac OSX comes w/ TextEdit, and (at least in Panther) it has many more formatting capabilities, which may fit your needs. If not, there's the MS stuff, AppleWorks, OpenOffice (search the web), ThinkFree Office.

PS - nice choice of PB.......it'll be nicer w/ even more RAM
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

apple works doesn't come on new powerbooks....so, they'll give you a trial versionn of office x (microsoft)...it's not bad...also text edit, which can't do much..but like rman said, there are good free versions of things on version tracker. good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you're looking for a cheaper photo editor than Photoshop, consider Photoshop Elements. Almost as good, and only $100. There's also another knockoff called PhotoStudio from Arcsoft, $80.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« College student Discount ??? | Final Cut Pro? eMac? »