View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

Question CS3 in Windows... Mac Book Pro vs Alienware
    Hey there!

I've had an Alienware m7700 for a little over 2 years. On the plus side, it's been superfast, handled games like a charm, handled all my graphics and Flash stuff (I'm a web designer), and generally performed extremely well for the first year. On the negative side, it's huge, very heavy, had stability issues from the get-go, and most importantly has become increasingly unstable in the last year, with USB problems, video problems, and speed issues.

At this point, I kind of feel like an idiot buying Alienware again, but ALL my money has been spent on Windows software -- the full CS3 suite, all my fonts, etc. I simply can't afford to buy a new Mac PLUS all the software that I currently use all over again. I still lean toward Alienware because when it was running well, my laptop outpaced pretty much everyone else's PCs, including desktops, and judging from the forums, it kind of sounds like the laptop I got was a lemon and most people have had better experiences.

My question is twofold: first of all, for all you switchers out there still running Windows on your Mac Book Pro, how has it performed? Specifically, in my business I'm using Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver all the time, often with all of them running at the same time. Is the performance on the Mac (running Windows) better or worse than running on a standard PC?

My second question is: assuming I need to run CS3 in Windows, which of the following systems would be better?

MAC:
    MacBook Pro
    2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    3GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x2GB, 1x1GB
    160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    Accessory Kit
    AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro/PowerBook (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

PC:
    Aurora™ m9700
    Processor: AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile ML44 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache
    Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows® Vista Ultimate - Without Remote Control or TV Tuner
    Chassis: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology - Saucer Silver
    Motherboard: Alienware® NVIDIA® Mobile SLi Chipset
    Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
    Optical Drive: 24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW Burner w/ Nero Software
    Video/Graphics Card: 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

The price on these two systems comes out to being pretty much equal, so it really comes down to this question: which one is going to still allow me to run CS3 in Windows with the highest performance and consistency over a long period of time?

What do you guys think?

Thanks very much for your input!!

Best,

--eric
    www.thecosmonaut.com

Welcome to the forums. I'm a recent switcher and I will have to say Mac book pro. But like many of the posters here their answers will be biased towards Macs.
    Widgets≠Gadgets

Thanks for the reply! I just got off the phone with the guys at the Apple store and they said that running CS3 in Windows WOULD take a performance hit on a Mac Book Pro. Whether it is too much of a hit for my personal taste obviously he couldn't say.

Is anyone running CS3 (or CS2) on Windows on a MacBook Pro? Is the performance noticeably worse than on a PC?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by erico564 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I just got off the phone with the guys at the Apple store and they said that running CS3 in Windows WOULD take a performance hit on a Mac Book Pro. Whether it is too much of a hit for my personal taste obviously he couldn't say.

Is anyone running CS3 (or CS2) on Windows on a MacBook Pro? Is the performance noticeably worse than on a PC?
    I've read that Adobe will give you a discount for purchasing the Mac version of CS3 if you already own the Windows version.

I think the performance hit would be based on the fact that Bootcamp doesn't support the 64-bit version of Windows and that Parallels doesn't support both processor cores (at the moment).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

ooo -- discount might be able to help me afford the change! Does anyone else know about this or where I could find out more?

Specs:
    MacBook
    Is the performance on the Mac (running Windows) better or worse than running on a standard PC?
    Yes, there would be a decrease in performance.
    My second question is: assuming I need to run CS3 in Windows, which of the following systems would be better?
    A Windows system would be best for you, not a Mac.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    If you are looking for a computer to strictly run Windows Apps, then don't buy a Mac. If you are looking for a computer to occasionally run a Windows app or two, then buy a Mac.

Pretty simple.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    At least with past versions, Adobe offered cross-grades for "shipping and handling." I'd love to know if this is true for CS3; if you do call Adobe about this, please let us know what they say.

Your fonts will work fine on a Mac.

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    It sounds like you'll only using the Mac to use Windows, which would have been the cause of all the problems you've been experiencing. There's no advantage in buying a Macbook just to run Windows on it - you might as well just save some money and buy a PC with Windows Vista preinstalled.

Specifically, in my business I'm using Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver all the time, often with all of them running at the same time
    Which leads me to my second point - very few professional businesses would run these programs on Windows! Why not do the whole thing properly and move to OS X on a Mac and run all these programs how nature intended!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Get the Alienware. Buying a MacBook Pro just to run Windows on is a waste. You will be better off with a PC Notebook for what you want to do.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
    No, you'll be better off getting the macbook pro and getting a copy of cs3 suite as well.

In the long run, that is the way to go.

Specs:
    2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
    Personal preference. It's like asking which chair would be better? Try it out for yourself, I know the Apple store has it. After that, weigh your budget.

You're in an apple forum,you're going to get nothing BUT bias here (and believe me I've seen quite the fanaticism here); you're best trying it out.

The Visual Portfolio
    I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    Year old thread. I don't think he's in need of assistance anymore.

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
    Question is... Did he go for the Mac and he's just so happy & productive now that he doesn't have time to visit this forum, or did he stick with Windows and he's now posting endless "Help, Windows is broken" messages on a Vista forum somewhere?

Thread Information