New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Impending switcheroo... RAM upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaetique

After ages with WinXP, virus issues and constant defragmentations, I'm ready to leap into the world of shiny apples. The fact that the new range of iBooks are gorgeous has nothing to do with it.

Really.

Anyway, I've pretty much decided to go with an iBook (12". G4 1GHz) due to financial constraints and application. But I wanted to run RAM upgrade by some pros (at this point, anyone who's used to OSX).

My applications for the iBook would be this:
Mainly: Word processing, presentations, spreadsheets, browsing the web, chat programs, music. (Anything remotely teacher-ish.)
Others (for leisure): graphics and design (programs such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Flash)

I know it boils down to the number of programs I run at the same time. It might be something like this:
iChat, MSN, dreamweaver & photoshop (I usually run dreamweaver and photoshop as a pair when I work on my website, graphic sizes also reasonably small), Safari, iTunes, and email

Is it reasonable to expect 256MB RAM to hold out well?

and

Should I be considering a RAM upgrade right off the bat or should I wait for a bit to see how much I need before upgrading?

Thanks so much for your contributions.

By the way, Appleworks 6 vs. Office v.X? Which do you prefer and why? (This is rather important due to work.)

iJanet (soon soon)
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

RAM should be at least 256 for OS X 512 is really a good idea. iChat transers effortlessly to AIM account - that's what I did! There are different maintanence in Mac but they can be automated by Mac Janitor and some others
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

I'd recommend at least 512mb.
I use Office X, and I think it's great. Haven't used AppleWorks, but it should suffice for most tasks.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

definitely get at least 512MB of RAM, but not from Apple.
You should get whatever the minimun Apple offers and get the upgrade from either Crucial or NewEgg or someplace like that.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
jaetique

Thanks for the assist, guys. I'm from Singapore though, so I'm not entirely sure what's available here.

Devilboy, what exactly is Crucial, a store of some sort? Is there perhaps a manufacturer of iBook RAM that I should look out for instead?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaetique
Thanks for the assist, guys. I'm from Singapore though, so I'm not entirely sure what's available here.

Devilboy, what exactly is Crucial, a store of some sort? Is there perhaps a manufacturer of iBook RAM that I should look out for instead?
www.crucial.com

its a webstore that specializes in computer RAM

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I'd definelty get more ram......and then you'll absolutely have no problem running as much as you want. I run iChat, iTunes, photoshop, illustrator, and InDesign all at the same time...plus browsing the net also....
QUOTE Thanks
sebeck

Yeah this 256 just isn't cuttin it. I think they should have shipped with no less than 512 but i understand they are trying to appeal to switchers like myself by keeping cost down. They barely had me at the $999..but then i got the federal discount and they totally had me. haha
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
definitely get at least 512MB of RAM, but not from Apple.
You should get whatever the minimun Apple offers and get the upgrade from either Crucial or NewEgg or someplace like that.
Crucial is a memory fabber, it is also sold at Newegg.

But crucial sucks, get corsair (value select)

-> www.newegg.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« program drive image icon on desktop | new ibook »