New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

imac for editing hd?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

noa

noa is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
first post here and hoping to get some good advise.
Now I"m a wedding videographer living in Belgium, for the past years I allways have been a windows user working with premiere pro to get my editing business done. I never saw a reason to switch to a mac because my pc was dedicated to editing only, didn't have a firewall or virusscanner and was tweaked to handle editing tasks without any problems. Now by the end of this year I'm switching to working with HD and final cut studio 2 really drew my attention, the previews I saw on on the apple site looked very promising.

I'm really thinking about getting a mac, mainly for editing purposes but I have to make a good choice before I would make a large investment, and large it will be, a new hd camera, a new pc or mac and new editing software. That's why I'm not sure wether to go for an imac or macpro.
A mac pro would be a perfect editing base but for me it's a bit expensive, does anyone here have experience how an imac 17"- 2ghz or a 20" 2,16ghz handles hd material? Especially if a dedicated external drive is used to capture and edit the hd footage on?

The imac is in a pricerange I can afford together with fcp studio 2, I"m just a bit concerned wehter it can take heavy duty work like hours of rendering and so on.

Someone any advice?

Don't mind me, I"m from Barcelona
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I just bought a 20" iMac Core2Duo which is faster than my PowerMac G5 which handles High Definition footage just fine.

For what it's worth.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

iMacs have only one space for a hard disk, if you wish to edit a lot of video then you would end up needing external drives.

Mac Pro has 4 disc bays and plenty of expansion, you also get to choose the monitor you want and if the monitor isn't good enough you can simply return it. If your iMac screen isnt right you have to return the whole thing and do without a computer for a while.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

If you are going to be using an external drive, I'd get the 20" or 24". I say the 24" for the firewire 800 capabilities. The smaller versions only have firewire 400 (and usb.)
I wouldn't go and get the 17" for video work. If you are doing HD, the videos are going to be larger dimensionally and you will have less room for the toolbars and other editing goodies.
Maybe using dual monitors with a 17" would work, that's if final cut works well with that configuration.
Trying doing a little research in the video editing thread on the forum here.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i work pages question | Prospective Switcher »