New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hello All: I have a small dilemma

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Uni

G'day... I'm new 2 this forum (as u may have already gathered). I have been on a number of forums prior to this, and just bought a brand new iBook G4 933mHz with the upgraded memory and airport. I am definatley converted to mac... OS X pantha is awesome.

has ne1 had any problems with the wireless network occaisonally drop out or lose some of the computers on the network? Are there any solutions to this, or is it being caused by something other than my mac?

Cheers
Uni/.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I have never experienced that issue, but it may depend on what router you are using.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
G'day... I'm new 2 this forum (as u may have already gathered). I have been on a number of forums prior to this, and just bought a brand new iBook G4 933mHz with the upgraded memory and airport. I am definatley converted to mac... OS X pantha is awesome.

has ne1 had any problems with the wireless network occaisonally drop out or lose some of the computers on the network? Are there any solutions to this, or is it being caused by something other than my mac?

Cheers
Uni/.
What version of Airport software are you currently running? Hold down the option key and click on the Airport icon in your Menu bar, then select "About Airport..."

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Uni

thanx for the responses, i just found out its not my airport. The building im in is a radio bunker (constructed mainly out of reinforced concrete and I beams) so things like this are normal and has nothing to do with software.

Cheers
Uni/.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
thanx for the responses, i just found out its not my airport. The building im in is a radio bunker (constructed mainly out of reinforced concrete and I beams) so things like this are normal and has nothing to do with software.

Cheers
Uni/.
Still, are you certain it isn't at least partially due to the Airport software? One of the recent versions caused substantial problems with many people's Airport operation. It's at least worth checking. What version is currently installed on your machine, and how far away is the base station from your computer?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Padawan is right, recent airport software had caused some hiccups. Might be worth checking out. good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

3..4 will cause even more problems on top of what you're experiencing..make sure you either have airport 3.3.1 or 3.4.1

they both work much much better.
QUOTE Thanks
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
3..4 will cause even more problems on top of what you're experiencing..make sure you either have airport 3.3.1 or 3.4.1

they both work much much better.
Yeah, thanx for your advice. I just installed 3.4.1 and problem solved. Cheers

Uni/.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I just had my first strange thing happen with 3.4.1, I shutdown last night, and the computer didn't fully shutdown, so I had to reboot and once I logged in, I got an aiport check that asked me if I wanted to join the local network.. ok strange.. so I said yes, and then after that, no matter what I did, it wouldnt connect, so I rebooted and now it's back to normal again. Hopefully that does not become a trend.
QUOTE Thanks
wjones3

Good day,

I too had the same problem when I enabled WEP encryption. It could be the overhead of the WEP. So I turned it off and decided to incorporate MAC filtering only allowing those machines I wanted to access the internet.

In order to do this, you must be able to make the necessary changes by enabling the settings to the router via your default browser. Depending on the IP address that is assigned to the device, you can type in the address: http"// the IP address then hit enter. This in turn would open a login dialogue box for access.

Sign in using the administrator's account, provided by your router's manufacturer and check the various WAN, Wireless settings. Somewhere there should be a setting to "disable" WEP and incorporate MAC filtering. Once you are able to access the router, change the password to something you and you alone can remember. Do this if the router is yours, of course.

I hope this helps. Remember, this was my experience and depending upon your setup yours could be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni

Cheers
Uni/.
QUOTE Thanks
Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
Yeah, thanx for your advice. I just installed 3.4.1 and problem solved. Cheers

Uni/.
Uni, may I ask what ISP you use?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Pro? eMac? | Sending word document? »