dave_h
    Question Switching: Questions
    Ok, in anticipation of my needs at grad school, I'm considering a switch from Dell Laptop / PC to the new 12'' powerbook.

A few questions:

1. What's the upgrade cycle for the Powerbooks? If I spend the $1700 now, will Apple release an upgraded Powerbook by the end of the summer? Might there be a price drop before the end of the summer? (Should I wait, or splurge now?)

2. I'd like to attach both an external keyboard and mouse to the system. Is there a USB built in to the external wired keyboard, or would I have to use both USB ports on the system? How many total USB devices can the deck handle?

3. Is the system limited to a single active firewire device in use at one time? I.e., if I'm dumping 90 minutes of high-bandwidth video to my drive, I'd rather it go to the external 160GB firewire drive. However, both the video camera and the drive require a firewire connection. How would I achieve this setup? Is there a firewire "hub"?

Thank you for your answers!

--dave

Switching: Questions
    Specs:
    I love student discount (sig)
    The keyboard has 2 USB bits where you plug stuff in as I seen in the shop (you would plug the USB mouse in one of them) and you have the port for other uses

dave_h
    cool, thank you -- it's a little thing, but important for productivity =>

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    1) Apple just upgraded the entire laptop line. So looking at past history of Apple. I don't see Apple upgrading the laptop line. So far this year we have seen the eMac, iBook, and the PowerBook have been updated. We should be seeing the iMac and the PowerMac upgrade coming next.

3) I believe there is a limit of 127 devices on a firewire chain. So I don't think you are going have any problems. On my chain, I have an external disk, DVD burner and the camera.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

dave_h
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    1) Apple just upgraded the entire laptop line. So looking at past history of Apple. I don't see Apple upgrading the laptop line. So far this year we have seen the eMac, iBook, and the PowerBook have been updated. We should be seeing the iMac and the PowerMac upgrade coming next.

3) I believe there is a limit of 127 devices on a firewire chain. So I don't think you are going have any problems. On my chain, I have an external disk, DVD burner and the camera.
    ... so the external drive would have a "daisy chain" port...? (My firewire digital video camera doen't)

Chamorro
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_h
    ... so the external drive would have a "daisy chain" port...? (My firewire digital video camera doen't)
    Some do, some don't.....need to look carefully @ whichever drive/enclosure you choose.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_h
    My DVD burner and external disk both have two firewire ports.

I place my camera at the end of the chain, since it only has one port.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

dave_h
    awesome -- thank you for your answer! I'm excited to switch!

Thread Information