New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New iBook, tempramental Safari!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

guywithsocks

First I'd like to say 'Howdy!' to everybody out there. Just got my first Apple and I'm extremely happy, but a little annoyed...

Safari crashes my iBook! I'm talking about a total crash; unresponsive mouse and unable to use shortcut keys to restart or force quit.

My iBook G3, 800Mhz came preinstalled w/ OS X Jaguar. I did a clean/format install of Panther, then ran system update. I'm connecting to the internet throught a D-Link DWL-122 802.11b dongle; I've updated to the latest drivers.

I installed Mozilla Firefox and it runs like a charm; no crashes, no burps. What is up with Safari? Is there a way to reinstall Safari w/o a complete reinstall? Can I trash Safari? Should I just be happy with Firefox?

Thanks in advance,
Guy
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

well first u should probly try repair permissions. if that doesn't work, you can go onto versiontracker.com, and you can search for a program called pacifist. this will allow you to search your panther install discs and choose only the package you want to install (in this case safari). but before you would install it again, you should definitely trash the existing one and all its preference files.
QUOTE Thanks
guywithsocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapa18
well first u should probly try repair permissions.
How do I repair permissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapa18
but before you would install it again, you should definitely trash the existing one and all its preference files.
Are all the preference files in the Library folder in my Home drive?

Thanks,
Guy
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

repair permissions: applications/utilities/disk utility, choose drive, select repair permissioins.

and I'm from Texas too. Austin to be exact. I'm going to school in Pittsburgh PA, but it ain't no Texas.
QUOTE Thanks
guywithsocks

Thanks for your help guys...Figured it out! Turns out my D-Link DWL-122 crashes my computer. Hooking up my iBook to standard ethernet yields a wonderful experience. So I guess the D-Link is going back to Best Buy and an Airport card is the next step....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
and I'm from Texas too. Austin to be exact. I'm going to school in Pittsburgh PA, but it ain't no Texas.
Are you at CMU? I go to Texas A&M
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Also if Safari is crashing - empty cache and delete history. cache is in the Safari menu and history has its own in the middle of the menu bar
QUOTE Thanks
guywithsocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Also if Safari is crashing - empty cache and delete history. cache is in the Safari menu and history has its own in the middle of the menu bar
Unfortunately, It's not Safari's fault Stupid D-Link DWL-122 doesn't play well with Panther, I've discovered. I sent an email to Dong-Link's tech support. We'll see what they have to say...
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Interesting... do you use Mac Janitor or run crons manually?
QUOTE Thanks
guywithsocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Interesting... do you use Mac Janitor or run crons manually?
I don't use Mac Janitor...but what is a cron?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I use a d-link, and I have no problems with it at all. Just so you know, cause you might have a bad one.
QUOTE Thanks
guywithsocks

Quote:
I use a d-link, and I have no problems with it at all. Just so you know, cause you might have a bad one.
Do you use OS 10.2 or 10.3.3? Is this the D-Link you use?

You know...the one that looks like a tampon.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what advantage does the D-Link hold over an Airport card? Where does that plug in - USB? How do you monitor reception. Sorry, it's late, my brain is tired, and I'm a bit confused. :confused:

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
guywithsocks

Padawan,

The D-Link DWL-122 is supposedly PC/Mac "compatible" if you wanted to share it with, for instance, 2 different computers. It connects through the USB port and you can monitor the system reception by checking System Preferences. Also, there's a little antenna that shows up next to the clock that you can click on and it summarizes the adaptors info.

However, do NOT get this adaptor. Go to Amazon.com and search for the DWL-122 and read the reviews. Many Mac users have problems with this WiFi adaptor and so did I...wish I had read their reviews first
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING PACIFIST TO REINSTALL SAFARI!!! WA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It ruined my Safari. When you right click it says "localized string not found" as well as some buttons saying the same thing. Had to reformat last night.
:mad:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac=wtf | Refurbished Macs.... ? »