New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Odd problem with Finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

Finder keeps popping up without me clicking the icon. I think I've got something else running that depends on Finder, which causes it to display itself - but it appears totally random.

Right now I'm running Yahoo Messenger, Firefox, XFolders, iTunes, Mail, VoodooPad, youcontrol: tunes, QuickSilver, Growl, MenuMeters, and a few Widgets on Dashboard.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

I'm afraid i'm not much help, but are you sure you're not accidentally clicking on the desktop or something like that?

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

I'm pretty confidant that the problem isn't between the seat and the mouse. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
I'm afraid i'm not much help, but are you sure you're not accidentally clicking on the desktop or something like that?

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Go into the Keyboard & Mouse preferences, click on the Trackpad tab. Under Trackpd Gestures, see if Clicking is checked. If so, uncheck it. You may also want to set (check mark) under Trackpad Options, the Ignore accidental trackpad input selection.
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

Maybe I shouldn't be so confidant. :-)

I'm able to repeat the behavior using iTunes. I just ripped a couple CDs then moved the resulting directory and files to my preferred location. iTunes is able to find the moved mp3 - but a Finder window opens at the same time.
I guess once iTunes re-indexes my music folder this behavior will stop.

Does this explanation make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeDave View Post
I'm pretty confidant that the problem isn't between the seat and the mouse. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

I have an iMac, there's no trackpad.

I think I'm wrong about iTunes being the possible culprit, I just restarted my machine and, low and behold, up pops a Finder window pointing at my Utilities folder. I closed the window then fired up iTunes, up comes another Finder window pointing you-know-where.

Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Go into the Keyboard & Mouse preferences, click on the Trackpad tab. Under Trackpd Gestures, see if Clicking is checked. If so, uncheck it. You may also want to set (check mark) under Trackpad Options, the Ignore accidental trackpad input selection.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

From the utilities you mentioned, only one sounds like it manipulates folders... XFolders -though I know nothing of it. But if I were you I'd disable that and restart.

Aside from that, it sounds like something is doing an applescript with "tell application finder to activate". You have any scripts running?

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

I think the culprit is youcontrol:tunes. I'm listening to iTunes radio and when a new song came on and the popup was displayed - up came Finder.
And I was just sitting here in front of my Mac reading a book. I'm going to un-install youcontrol:tunes and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

No applescripts that I created and kicked off - this is day 11 of my switch from WinXP to OS X, so I'm a total babe-in-the-woods here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
From the utilities you mentioned, only one sounds like it manipulates folders... XFolders -though I know nothing of it. But if I were you I'd disable that and restart.

Aside from that, it sounds like something is doing an applescript with "tell application finder to activate". You have any scripts running?
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I'm not sure but someone posted this help for me and you can check to see if this is the issue: Click on your apple (top right corner) and "Go to System Preferences, then click Accounts and select the username for whom this is opening automatically. Click the Login Items "tab" and look for it in the list, click on the entry then click the minus button below the program list window."

I revised this a bit to fit your issue. But this might help and if it doesn't, you know where it is .
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Oops didn't see how old this was, well maybe it will help someone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Permissions | Desktop wallpaper? »