New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I'm planning on buying an eMac but...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mahler_seele

I wonder if the new eMacs (1.25Ghz, 256RAM, Radeon 9200) will be able to handle stuff like Photoshop CS, Garageband and mostly music making software.

Currently I have a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz and 512RAM. I wonder how the two systems would compare... any hints? I really want to switch but it really depends if I can use the programs stated above quite nicely.... apart from other day to day applications as well (Office, iLife, internet, etc)

Thanks everyone willing to help in advance
QUOTE Thanks
jsgates

I bought one a couple of months ago, and it handles anything I throw at it, including Photoshop CS and Garageband. I'd max out the ram on it, and you'll be good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

My uncle has the model just before that
1 Ghz
512 ram
160 gb hd
Superdrive

he uses it for all of his photo editing and video editing...He is going to upgrade the ram to 1gb soon (well hes paying im doing)

He loved it so much my dad ordered the new emac with 1gb ram for doing his dvd slideshows

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

you shouldn't have any problem doing photoshop work..I use my 1ghz powerbook, and use photoshop, illustrator, and InDesign all at the same time with no problems..does suck memmory though.
QUOTE Thanks
Mahler_seele

Perhaps I shouldn't ask this but I currently own a PentiumIV 2.4Ghz machine, how would that compare in performance to the eMac in question (1.25Ghz)? Is there any way to find close equivalences between the Mac Ghz and the Intel Ghz?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

There really is no direct conversion between them but when the G4 first came out they showed the 867mhz beating out a 1.7ghz P4

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

The reason Mac G4/G5 proves to be faster with lower clock speeds is because (for now) they exploit more efficient (wider) data paths, like how broadband works! Sweet
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler_seele
I wonder if the new eMacs (1.25Ghz, 256RAM, Radeon 9200) will be able to handle stuff like Photoshop CS, Garageband and mostly music making software.

Currently I have a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz and 512RAM. I wonder how the two systems would compare... any hints? I really want to switch but it really depends if I can use the programs stated above quite nicely.... apart from other day to day applications as well (Office, iLife, internet, etc)

Thanks everyone willing to help in advance
I simply love the eMac (again, people may think I'm strange, but for some reason I even prefer it over the iMac), and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go for one, but of course upgrade the RAM as others have said. You'll be extremely pleased with it, I'm sure.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

To answer your question honestly...your eMac won't be able to keep up to a P4 to save its life. I don't want to upset anybody here, but the "benchmarks" you see online are BS. The G5 dual 2 GHz machine got spanked by a high end P4 in all tests, so a little iBook will certainly not be able to keep up. In every instance I have ever seen, Macs have been significantly slower than PCs.

That said, I absolutely love my Powerbook, and will never trust my data to Windows again. I've got the 1.33 GHz model with 512 MB of RAM and it's plenty fast for basic stuff. I love it.

Chances are, you'll be plenty happy with your new eMac. It can handle Photoshop CS and Garageband just fine. In both instances, you'll want to absolutely max out your eMacs RAM.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I think that you will find the eMac more than adequate for your needs. I absolutely love mine. It runs Photoshop, Garageband and other apps just swimmingly. It may not be the best option for games, but it is acceptable for some games and again I am extremely happy with mine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
To answer your question honestly...your eMac won't be able to keep up to a P4 to save its life. I don't want to upset anybody here, but the "benchmarks" you see online are BS. The G5 dual 2 GHz machine got spanked by a high end P4 in all tests, so a little iBook will certainly not be able to keep up. In every instance I have ever seen, Macs have been significantly slower than PCs.
Good luck!
That isn't really true because you can always find an app that screams on the Mac and crawls on the pc. Mac has a broader internal data path that is not exploited by some apps rendering many test a waste of time The eMac 1.25 with 512 would prove amazingly capable
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video & Photo Editing on 12" Powerbook | Need to get mail from old to new »