New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how do I drag and select multiple files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thoras_herd

thoras_herd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 80GB, 1GB, Superdrive

Hi - probably a stupid question but how do i drag and select mutlitple files on a Macbook trackpad? I want to get some artwork from some track in iTunes and i'm sure thre is a quicker way than doing them one by one!
Thanks,
TH
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Ok selecting and dragging multiple items using a track pad is a 2 fingered or possibly 2 handed job.

I use 2 fingers: use first finger to move pointer into area were these files are and then press the mouse button with the second finger (do not let go) - with first finger move the pointer over the files you want to select (they should all be highlighting as you do this). once selected - release both fingers.

You have them selected.

Now again use one finger to move the mouse pointer to one of the selected files (do not tap or click) - now with a second finger press the trackpad button in (do not release) - with the first finger, move the pointer (you should see the selected files follow the mouse pointer) when you get to where you want them - release your second finger from the trackpad button.

Ok - did that make sense?
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Shift + Click the first item. Shift + Click the second item. Now click and hold on either and drag to the trash...they'll both go!
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm not sure that works in iTunes. It does, however on the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

stonysleep will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11

I haven't used a macbook trackpad, but assuming it's similar to other mac laptops, the way i use a trackpad to select items is to use the index finger to manoeuvre the pointer and the thumb to click the button (use the side of the thumb)
Doing it this way should enable you to select multiple items

Alternatively, don't forget you can use shift-click and command-click to select multiple items
QUOTE Thanks
thoras_herd

thoras_herd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 80GB, 1GB, Superdrive

thanks everyone - click and shift wrked best in iTunes :-)
i will get used to the new way of working soon! bye bye pC - i love my Mac
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoras_herd View Post
thanks everyone - click and shift wrked best in iTunes :-)
i will get used to the new way of working soon! bye bye pC - i love my Mac
Another satisfied customer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCalendar | no audio from quicktime »