New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hide folders?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

In Windoze (yuck) I hide folders now and then that I'm tired of looking at. How can I do those on my new Mac? For example, Virtual PC puts a bunch of crap folders in my Documents folder that I don't wanna look at, but can't move (unless I wanna break Virtual PC).

So...how to hide folders? Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

You can move (drag) them to another folder or delete them (drag to trash) If you don't have permissions, operate as ROOT but only off line And open finder and secure empty trash
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I beleive there is a way to actually hide them as well..make them invisible.....I can't recall how...remember hearing/reading about it...I'm sure someone will come along to help on that..in the meanwhile, you should google it....invisible os x folders, or hidden os x folders....or something like that...good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The current issue of Macaddikt explain the process.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Also, from Mac OS X hints I found:
I have to use Microsoft Office sometimes when I need to make sure a document I've created with OpenOffice or NeoOffice looks okay to send to someone living in the PC world. One thing that annoys about MS Office even when I'm not running it is that it writes the user preferences to a directory in my Documents folder (~/Documents -> Microsoft User Data). Now, as far as I know the Documents folder belongs to the User for, well ... um, documents. Stuff like preferences and user data needs to go into the Library for a lot of good reasons. My particular annoyance is that when I do an incremental back-up using tar, I exclude the Library folder, but I still end up with a dozen back-up discs containing "Microsoft User Data." Now, as is typical, I can't change this feature any way I can think of from the Microsoft preferences pane (if you can, let me know! Changing file locations does little for me).

So, my hint has two parts, the first is to make a directory called 'ms crap' or something in your Library. Now, make an alias of this folder and move the alias to your Documents directory. Rename the alias you just moved to "Microsoft User Data" (just move the contents of the old Microsoft User Data folder over to the folder we just created in the Library). This fixes the user data showing up on my incremental back-ups. However, we'd like to get a little more sophisticated because its ugly seeing this folder that doesn't belong there in the Documents directory. So, for the next part, you need the Developer Tools. Type the following:
/Developer/Tools/./SetFile -a V Microsoft User Data

This sets the Invisibility bit to on the alias to 1, so it won't show up in the Finder. That way, I don't have to even look it. As you might guess, I've had a hard time with Office products. To bring it back, run the above, but with a lower-case v instead of an upper-case one. See the man SetFile page for details.
:cool:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 3rd party wireless | Mac Furniture »