New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I hate it!!! Stupid iChat.. grrrrr

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

I accidentally clicked iChat. Now it asks me to register it. There is no way I can quit the application. Its so annoying. I can't cancell it. I cant quit it from the dock. I cant minimize it. I cant do anything. :mad: When I closed all other applications and tried to shut down, the iChat won't let me log off or let the computer shut down. Its driving me crazy!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Funny, I didn't have that problem. I didn't even have to register....I just put in all my info from my AIM account, and that was that...I love iChat...
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I bet the registration thing may have something to do with being outside the US. If it is really a bother to register it, maybe you can force it - choose the Apple menu and see if it shows in the force quit option
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

I couldn't quit it so I used Activity Monitor to end the iChat process.. smart
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Alternately (This is the one I like to do, since it always kills the program instantly) is to open up the Terminal and type killall iChat (case sensitive).
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
Alternately (This is the one I like to do, since it always kills the program instantly) is to open up the Terminal and type killall iChat (case sensitive).
Right, and also to do it by PID (process ID) type top, then type kill(PID) from the list
QUOTE Thanks
Beatles4Life

Beatles4Life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.9.5.

I agree, Strider, iChat is a frustrating program. I had so many problems with iChat that I switched to AIM 4.7 for Mac.

If you want to download AIM, click here.

P.S.: I love your Homer Simpson avatar.

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

What problems did you have? I log on iChat everytime I'm online and I love it. Works just like my aim did on doz.. just differently
QUOTE Thanks
PRinMD

Well if all else fails give ICQ a shot, this way you got to IM's instead of one, since now you can add AIM users to your ICQ buddy list
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Works just like my aim did on doz.. just differently
now that was profound... lol

i dont like iChat. i am the type of person who prefers simplicity in look, but not in options... which is probably why i love os x. very simple looking...yet very powerful, with any option you can think of.

but if they wanted to make iChat the same way, they would give many more options... not options like video chat...options like changing the style of iChat, more preferences... able to copy and paste a message someone sent me, and not loose their screen name..its just a really pretty, but not useful program :-\
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4Life

P.S.: I love your Homer Simpson avatar.
Cheers.. doh!
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualG5Lova
now that was profound... lol

i dont like iChat. i am the type of person who prefers simplicity in look, but not in options... which is probably why i love os x. very simple looking...yet very powerful, with any option you can think of.

but if they wanted to make iChat the same way, they would give many more options... not options like video chat...options like changing the style of iChat, more preferences... able to copy and paste a message someone sent me, and not loose their screen name..its just a really pretty, but not useful program :-\

Well, the deal with IM is that you tend to use the same service that your friends use. And thats true universally. You need to speak to ur mates over IM and you have to use the same service as they do....duh!
Unfortunately all my mates use MSN and I don't like the (un)consistency of MSN messenger in OS X. I tried using Fire but its too... boring! it just turns you off.. too sad to use :eek:

Anyways, as iChat uses AOL instant messaging, I wont use it coz no one I know uses AIM. Same for .Mac and Yahoo IM. Well I guess its just my bad luck I have to stick to MSN... :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I use Proteus and it's the best one that I have found so far.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
I use Proteus and it's the best one that I have found so far.
Looks good from the screenshots. I'll give it a go. Cheers murlyn!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Maintaining Icon positions | Locate Command? »