New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro - Why a MAC Book Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

buscuitboy

buscuitboy is on a distinguished road

I have a sister who is going to school in the Carribean and recently had her DELL Windows Laptop stolen. She is looking at a replacement and is thinking of going with a MAC. I am TOTALLY new to the MAC world and this forum so pardon me if I ask some silly questions. I have always thought about getting a MAC to at some point so I will be informed about these questions too.

- She wants to know what the main difference is between a Mac Book Pro and a regular Mac Book. Is it just really speed and expandibility?

- Can MACs run on a home network that is mainly occupied by Windows based PCs? If so, can files (mp3s, video, photos, etc) still be shared between all the PCs including the MAC?

- I thought I remember hearing or reading something a while back about how the new MACs can run Windows applications somehow. SOme sort of dual booting or something. Is this correct? If so, is it standard when buying a MAC or is it sort of a homegrown application?

- I'm sure this board can come up with a TON, but what other REAL advantages are there in owning a MAC over a Windows based PC?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

1. Yes, the MacBook Pro just has better specs and bigger screen.

2. Yes, you can share files and internet connection easily.

3. The application used to run Windows on intel based Apple computers is called Boot Camp. It is still in beta and isn't fully supported. You will have to buy a full version of Windows to use it, keep that in mind.

4. They come with a lot of really good applications, such as iPhoto, iMovie, iCal, and some others. Also, 2-finger scrolling on Apple notebooks is the greatest invention ever. I am sure others will come up with a better answer.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

Ill answer them in the order you asked:

MBP and MB are quite different. apple.com is the best place for their differences. Unless she is doing some heavy image,movie editing or high ammounts of 3D gaming, a macbook is going to be better.

Yes. All of those files can be shared between macs and windows machines. All new mac laptops come with builtin airport which is a wireless internet card basically.

Yes, the new macs that have the Intel processors can run Windows. It is dual booting if you use bootcamp. You can also use a program to emulate windows within OS X called paralells. Both take a valid copy of windows though.

This whole board is full of the differences between mac and windows. If your sister just wants a computer to surf, listen to music, type papers, and check email on; a mac is a good choice. With a mac you get a very easy to use computer in which OS X just works and it is very user friendly.
QUOTE Thanks
gin8u

gin8u is an unknown at this point

i think everyone correctly answered the first three questions...

but to add on the 4th question.. i will say:
A lot of PC-goers claim that PCs are far superior, which is not the case. Even though Macs cost a bit more compare to the equivalence (in PC world), the service of Apple and the durability is worth it. Also there are virtually almost no viruses for a mac (they can be counted on 1 hand), All the important programs that you want on a PC, are available for the Mac as well. It's just that there aren't 20 different types to choose from (such as on a PC).
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

biscuitboy, welcome to Mac Forums!!

There are a few key technical differences between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

1/ The MacBook Pro (MBP) has a dedicated graphics card. The MacBook uses shared memory graphics. This means that the MBP is a better machine for video intensive work such as video editing, gaming, etc.

2/ The MBP has a larger hard drive - these days, that is important. I don't know about you, but I have about 40 GB of media (music and video) on my hard drive, not to mention that 6 GB or so of photos.

3/ The MBP is available with faster processors. Your mileage will vary here, as the differences aren't that extreme.

Also, per previous posters, yes Macs live happily on mixed LANs. I run mine on a home network along side my Linux workstation and my Windows laptop (my employer is not as enlightened as I am! :dive.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Sachsr1

Sachsr1 has a spectacular aura about

One thing I just noticed is that if you get a MBP you get 1gig of ram it's 1 stick where as the Macbook is 2 512's. If you want to upgrade ram in the MBP you just buy one more gig, and with the Macbook you have to buy 2 1gigs to jump up to 2gigs.
QUOTE Thanks
AndieCZ

AndieCZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac and MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have a sister who is going to school in the Carribean and recently had her DELL Windows Laptop stolen. She is looking at a replacement and is thinking of going with a MAC. I am TOTALLY new to the MAC world and this forum so pardon me if I ask some silly questions. I have always thought about getting a MAC to at some point so I will be informed about these questions too.

- She wants to know what the main difference is between a Mac Book Pro and a regular Mac Book. Is it just really speed and expandibility?

- Can MACs run on a home network that is mainly occupied by Windows based PCs? If so, can files (mp3s, video, photos, etc) still be shared between all the PCs including the MAC?

- I thought I remember hearing or reading something a while back about how the new MACs can run Windows applications somehow. SOme sort of dual booting or something. Is this correct? If so, is it standard when buying a MAC or is it sort of a homegrown application?

- I'm sure this board can come up with a TON, but what other REAL advantages are there in owning a MAC over a Windows based PC?
I can definitely recommend MacBooks and MacBooks Pro to the audience. The MacBook Pro is really a notebook, which can survive a lot of situations, which are deadly for those "plastic" notebooks around us. Also, as it includes all the possible accessories inside it can bring a lot of fun to the owner. With this notebook, you really do not need any additional accessory and you can enjoy the full potential.

Luke
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
biscuitboy, welcome to Mac Forums!!

There are a few key technical differences between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

1/ The MacBook Pro (MBP) has a dedicated graphics card. The MacBook uses shared memory graphics. This means that the MBP is a better machine for video intensive work such as video editing, gaming, etc.

2/ The MBP has a larger hard drive - these days, that is important. I don't know about you, but I have about 40 GB of media (music and video) on my hard drive, not to mention that 6 GB or so of photos.

3/ The MBP is available with faster processors. Your mileage will vary here, as the differences aren't that extreme.

Also, per previous posters, yes Macs live happily on mixed LANs. I run mine on a home network along side my Linux workstation and my Windows laptop (my employer is not as enlightened as I am! :dive.
Well said, but to add one more key difference (and this was a biggie for me):

4/ The MBP has an ExpressCard/34 slot, the standard MB does not. I currently use mine for a 5-in-one media reader, but they can also be used for things like Mobile Broadband cards, USB hubs, and more.

By the way, the term "MAC" is an acronym for "Machine Access Control" which is a layer of networking, commonly used when referring to a MAC address. Mac (small 'a' and 'c') is the correct abbreviation for a Macintosh. Just a little pet peeve of mine....

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Smell The Glove

Smell The Glove will become famous soon enough

Funny enough, in my short time in the Mac community, that's one of the first things I knew. How much "MAC" drove Mac folks batty. I knew I was starting to belong when it started bothering me. Heh, heh.
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

lol the thing i hate is when people are like o ya on the weekend i got an "apple macintosh"

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice for getting a new mac | Is the Macbook sufficient for... »