New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Restoring lost folder!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnXE

I am new to Mac, and today, my power cut off, when I turned the Mac back on everything seemed fine. When I went to get a file someone asked for online and was going to the folder, which is located on desktop..it was gone! It wasn't even in the Trash!

I have no idea how to restore his the correct way and this was the most important folder on my computer! Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Well it depends on how it was deleted... if it's not in the trash, it's probably more or less gone :/
QUOTE Thanks
JohnXE

That doesn't make sense though...there has to be a way of getting it back
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

My guess is to try this: Finder - Applications - Utilities - Terminal. type ls /tmp and see if the file name comes up it may be possible ti drag it back to the Applications or desktop
QUOTE Thanks
copitl

copitl is on a distinguished road

Hi!
I'm too worried because the same has happened to me!!
My most important folder who was in my desktop too, just dissapeared!!!!
I cannot find it anywhere on my mac
I could recover some of the files because 2 days ago I opened 3 of my files.doc who were in this folder so I saved it again.
Help please!!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by copitl View Post
Hi!
I'm too worried because the same has happened to me!!
My most important folder who was in my desktop too, just dissapeared!!!!
I cannot find it anywhere on my mac
I could recover some of the files because 2 days ago I opened 3 of my files.doc who were in this folder so I saved it again.
Help please!!
Ok, if you were able to open those three files, the real folder is still on your computer. What you probably lost is an alias (or shortcut) to the actual folder. Look in the Documents folder. Click on Documents on the left (sidebar) of any Finder window. Is the "missing" folder there? If so, drag it to the right side of your Dock, assuming it's on the bottom of your screen. This will make a new shortcut. Now control-click (right click) on it and choose Display as Folder.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnXE View Post
I am new to Mac, and today, my power cut off, when I turned the Mac back on everything seemed fine. When I went to get a file someone asked for online and was going to the folder, which is located on desktop..it was gone! It wasn't even in the Trash!

I have no idea how to restore his the correct way and this was the most important folder on my computer! Any suggestions?
I'm not so sure that you didn't also lose just a "shortcut". I don't quite understand the bold phrase. Try looking in Recent Items in the Apple Menu, and if you find one or more files from the "missing" folder, do the same thing I suggested above.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

How would you loose a file/shortcut though? I am still trying to figure out if this was a user error or something clicked accidentally (but what)

@OP - most of what I can think is mentioned above but I am sure there might be some other tips that someone will post...

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

This is yet another good reason *not to keep files on the desktop.*
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I'm guessing you accidentally dragged it somewhere. I would search for the folder in Recent Documents, then in Spotlight. Where was the folder before it was on the desktop? Was it something you downloaded from the web? Is that what you mean by "someone asked for it online" or do you mean that someone online asked you to send it to them?

Not only is this a good reason not to keep important files on the desktop, it's also a good reason to buy an external hard drive and set up Time Machine to back up your system.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This is yet another good reason *not to keep files on the desktop.*
What? Why? The Desktop is just a folder, it's not any more dangerous than any other folder on your system.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

I disagree. The user interfaces the Desktop far more often that any other folder. Thus, the potential for "accidents" is greater. Now, to an experienced user, that shouldn't be an issue. Based on the questions presented, I'd venture to say we're addressing a different category.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

@ copitl, could it be that what disappeared was not a folder, but a mounted image? I ask because if you downloaded an installer image (.dmg) and then double clicked it, it mounted as a drive. When you rebooted, it unmounted and didn't remount on the restart. Could that be what happened?
QUOTE Thanks
darrelwk

darrelwk is on a distinguished road

The file itself is probably still on the system. Now whether or not it was accidently deleted is another thing
QUOTE Thanks
georgewk

georgewk is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a folder with all received email on a subject, it was under the title "GMAIL".

Now it is gone. Not in trash that I can see. Other folders are all there.

I saw the folder once in some place as I was looking for it. It was a place that had a list of folders on the computer. The one I need was there but as I tried to move it to my mail I lost track of where I saw it.

Can you please help me?

Thanks, George
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ebay problems | resize window »