New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how much memory in an iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DB2k

DB2k will become famous soon enough

Hi

I have been looking at a 24" iMac for a while now and note it ships with a default of 1Gig which is 2x512Mb (one in each memory slot).

On purchase I can put more in, or buy memory from somewhere like Crucial UK and put it in myself I believe? I assume its not that hard - I've put together several PCs before (that said the 2Gb upgrade is probably as cheap to get apple to do it).

Anyway.. how much should I get?
I mean.. I'd be looking at putting 2x1Gb in so I have 2Gb and I guess selling the 2x512s that came with it.
That doesn't cost too much and I think 2Gb is a good amount. To go to 3Gb from what I can understand, I have to buy a 2Gb module and a 1Gb module. That is SUPER expensive. The 2Gb module is way pricey!

So I guess I'm just asking if going to 3Gb from 2Gb will really benefit me that much? I'll be using it to edit pics off of my DSLR, and I guess some home movies, play movies to my LCD TV (including HD content) and other media functions I guess like music. Whilst more RAM might help Photoshop or the like run better, will it really be that noticable for me? I'm guessing not..

Cheers,
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

DB2k, I'd suggest buying 2gb, fitted by Apple. Phone Apple to place your order, and haggle. If they don't come down by much, say you'll think about it and that you'll maybe call them back.

Or, if you're not in a rush to buy, customise your Mac and save the basket on the Apple store, then wait. You might find someone contacts you – that's what happened to me. I got a great deal.

It's quiet in the shops this time of year...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

If you are using Photoshop, I would recommend 2 GB (or more if you wish) of total RAM.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
DB2k

DB2k will become famous soon enough

thanks chaps. I like the idea of putting it in my basket and leaving it as I am lazyalthough I think when I want it I wil lcall up. I pretty much know what spec I want - upgraded HDD and gfx card. I just want to wait for the Leopard update and tbh I'm interested in this potential hardware refresh too.. Although I am fully aware I can wait for ever.. Not in a particular rush though.

Min 2Gb seems fine to me at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What to do first? | iMac? »