New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Extra Folders Taking Up Needed Space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

On my powerbook whem I double click on the Mac HD on the desktop their is a library folder that takes up 10 gb of space . The problem is I already have that folders in my home folder but one of them hase more items than the other one, my question is can I delete one of those folders or do I need them because it seems as if I already have them in my Home folder and I really need that extra 10gb. Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

chances are you are going to need something if theres 10gb in there....i would look through it thuroughly before deleting.

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD

I don't think they are copies of each other... More like an alias I believe...

Owner of a '89 Mk2 Jetta
Can't forget those G3 iMacs!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

That folder is the System Library, delete it, and you are going to have some serious issues with OS X. It holds most of the important system files.

The library folder in your home folder holds files important to that user, they are different.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMERA MAN View Post
On my powerbook whem I double click on the Mac HD on the desktop their is a library folder that takes up 10 gb of space . The problem is I already have that folders in my home folder but one of them hase more items than the other one, my question is can I delete one of those folders or do I need them because it seems as if I already have them in my Home folder and I really need that extra 10gb. Please help.
The first Library you mention is the System one, do not try to delete anything in there without knowing what it is for or you will end up will Apps that no longer work, the second one is your personal Library.

The difference between them is that when you install large Apps like Final Cut Express it places the media you need (Filters, Transitions, Loops etc) into the System Library so that every user can access them whereas when you are running Apps the user Library is used for things that are speciific to your user (like particular filters you may have included in your own projects).

Other Apps do the same so System Library contains plugins for browsers, bits of Open Office or MS Office, Photoshop bits and pieces, GarageBand loops etc etc.

If you have no more use for some of these files, like for example you have deleted MS Office, then you can clear out the files but be very careful. Plugins and helpers in particular are sometimes used my many Apps.

Apple have made an effort to make the file usage pretty obvious, i.e the names of the folder are normally a dead giveaway as to what they are for and which App put them there but some third partys are not so user friendly.

btw, if something says it is a "Framework" or is in a folder named "Frameworks" leave it well alone. These are libraries of code needed by applications, unlike media files if these are not present you could end up with all sorts of strange behaviour from the system.

btw2, if you install something and it askes for the admin password that is a dead giveaway that it is installing things in the System Library.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you need to save some space, you could try getting rid of Garageband (if you don't use it) as its sample files take up a sizable chunk of space (2-3GB). Also, download a program called Monolingual. It'll get rid of languages you don't use, again stripping 2-3GB of occupied space. So doing just that will garner you anywhere from 4-6GB of space.

To clear up some more space, you could try a program that strips legacy code out from various pieces of software. That means if you have an Intel Mac, it'll get rid of the PPC code, essentially slimming down programs by 50%. That could save you some space, though I don't know if it's anything significant.

I also suggest going through your Applications folder and getting rid of any programs you never use as a bunch of them can take up some serious space. You should also get yourself a program called AppDelete (it's free) so that when you delete an application, it'll get rid of all the accompanying Library files. This is very handy for when you get rid of Garageband as it'll save you the trouble of going through the Library folder and finding that sort of stuff yourself.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

Ok thanks for the replys, I will just leave them alone. I did all things that kash said about a month ago and I came up to 40gbs with out any editing video on their but I still think I can get more out of it since my mac mini has all the same programs and 80 gb HD space but still has 50 free gb of space left. Any more things I can delete?
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

u can delete the folders titled "caches"

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

As Kash said, I regained 35 or 85 (I forget which) megabytes by dropping the hard-drive icon on a freeware app called TrimTheFat. You can download it at verstiontracker or macupdate.

It's probably the one he referred to that removes the unneeded code in universal binaries. I have a G4, so in my case, it yanked all the Intel code.

Once you've started it but before using it, go to the preferences and set it so it deletes the unneeded versions. Otherwise, both versions separate, but each remains on the hard drive.

I didn't set the preferences to delete the junk code and ended up with two applications of each. For instance, I ended up with Firefox and Firefox-U, meaning Firefox Universal, I assume. I trashed all the apps ending in -U, but there were a lot of them.

If you drop the entire drive's icon on TrimTheFat's window, it might take a few minutes to do the job. There's no progress bar, and I thought it had crashed.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf1899 View Post
u can delete the folders titled "caches"
you can use a program like onyx or mainmenu to easily delete cache contents at will or on a schedule.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Switcher | Hi, switched from Windows after 11 years! »