New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

700mhz Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dean786

Dean786 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD

Hey..

I hear some people have 300mhz, 500mhz, 700mhz Macintosh's...

Im like.. How can you run a computer on such low CPU?

Amazing. lol
QUOTE Thanks
tandaina

tandaina is on a distinguished road

Right... You know I used to run a 100MHz computer. It ran WINDOWS. You may not believe this young whipper snapper but it ran GAMES as well. Yes, that's right, it could play games. Actually it could do everything a modern machine can do with a bit less "bling".

Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. - Terry Pratchett
http://snowonroses.blogspot.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Macs processors are built differently that x86 processors, until Macs moved to Intel processors.

Just like a 2ghz AMD is different than a 2GHZ P4. They are built differently. We used a 350MHz iMac up until two years ago when we replaced it with a new iMac.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

I'm scared for the future of the world.
QUOTE Thanks
Dean786

Dean786 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD

My friend has a G3 300mhz and Im just like how the omg can you live with that?

Is it faster on a mac or somthing?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I had to use my iMac 800MHz G4 before Xmas for typing practice and I could still use it for everything today. My iMac G5 is just faster but the G4 is still very much usable.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

You can't compare clockspeeds for two different types of processors. Its like compare miles per hour with kilometers per hour. They are completely different.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

like stated already a few times, that 700mhz mac you are talking about is built on the PowerPC Architecture which is completely different than x86 technology. it processes information completely differently a lot faster than you'd think....

there was a basic rule of thumb floating around for years....too bad this rule of thumb was basically wrong but it gave a decent ballpark. to get the x86 equivalent of a ppc processor i believe you multiplied the PPC processor speed x 1.5 so, 700mhz x 1.5 = about a 1ghz processor....now this is not a good way to compare the processors but it gives a ballpark and helps explain further that the ppc processors are faster than they appear
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD

Yea, my 400Mhz doesn't run to shabby with OS X... It's only frustrating when your in a rush.

Owner of a '89 Mk2 Jetta
Can't forget those G3 iMacs!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

My first computer was a 66 MHz 486DX2, and it ran Windows just fine. In fact, people were asking me at the time why I wanted such a POWERFUL machine!! :dive:

Its all relative!

I still have a 450 MHz Pentium machine, and it runs both Windows 98 and VectorLinux 5.1 wonderfully.

So, lower clock rates don't spell "worthless" - it is all a matter of what you are running on it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I still don't know why Windows Vista requires such hefty hardware. It's WinXP with transparent title bars.

Which leaves the 'Flip 3D feature', which is Expose but in 3D (except you have to scroll through like a merry go round instead of just choosing your program straight away). Tilting a screenshot of an open application really shouldn't take that much horsepower!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
I'm scared for the future of the world.
Ditto. Kids these days....

I still remember my 486 days with a 66MHz processor. When we upgraded to a 450MHz Pentium II a couple years later, it blew the 486 out of the water. But you know what? The 486 ran Windows 98 without a problem. Trying running Vista on a computer that's 3 years old and runs XP :bomb:

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Ditto. Kids these days....

I still remember my 486 days with a 66MHz processor. When we upgraded to a 450MHz Pentium II a couple years later, it blew the 486 out of the water. But you know what? The 486 ran Windows 98 without a problem. Trying running Vista on a computer that's 3 years old and runs XP :bomb:

Agreed! :spook:

I ran 98SE on a 486/66 and later 486 DX4/100 and know what you mean.
QUOTE Thanks
kris182

kris182 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile

Ha Ha, best comment I've read in ages. How old is this kid? My first PC had an Intel 60MHZ processor with (get ready to be blown away) 8MB RAM and a massive 500MB hard disk, oh and not forgetting my warp speed 4x Cd-rom. Cutting edge stuff. Ha ha.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

My 500MHZ G3 iBook runs OSX Panther just fine. Im waiting on my Digital Audio to come in though. Then upgrade it..

Yah

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Refurb, A Good Idea? | 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz? »