New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Thinking about a macbook.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Resident56

Resident56 is on a distinguished road

Ive been a long time Windows user, grown up in a Windows house and working as a PC Tech. Im getting ready for college, and ive been looking around at laptops. Ive been looking and reading all I can about Intel Macs and OS X, and Im very impressed by both. I need a portable, school laptop, with lots of multimedia functions. Encoding, Photo Editing, DVDs, and Very light gaming. Im a long time iPod user, and have always been impressed with the quality of apple products. Especially compaired to the cheap plastic feel that ALOT of Windows based laptops have.

Im not worried about gaming, I built a new desktop machine back in November for that purpose. I was curious about the claims of defects and some of more common issues between the Macbook vs Macbook Pro. I have a friend who swears against getting a MBP. Also, Id eventually like to dual boot with Vista. Im wondering if Apple is planning on releasing boot camp drivers for Vista in the (somewhat) near future?

EDIT: Here are the specs at the Macbook im looking at:
(White) 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM, 120GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

If you need something portable for college, then you should go with the MacBook. I have one for the exact same purpose. It'll do everything that you need it to do.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

There have been defects like any new line on laptops, but these have all been sorted now. It has never been a better time to consider purchasing a MacBook. For college or school the MacBook would be ideal. It is portable, quick, durable and it is very compatible with its Windows counterparts.

I have never tried, but I think you can already run Vista on the MacBook albeit a bit limited at the moment because as you say a lot of drivers haven't been released yet. I am sure Apple will do its best to try and make these drivers available because this is one of the selling points of the new Intel Macs. You could also try Parallels which maybe kept more up-to-date than Boot Camp.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I have an 15" MBP for college that is great and not too heavy (in a backpack). I would recommend an MBP over a MB just because it has a bigger screen, more powerful, better staying power in the ever-changing technology world and it will probably be able to handle whatever Vista throws at it better than the MB. Plus my MBP runs games like a champ. I'd say sell the PC and step up to the MBP.

My 2 cent.

Overall, the choice to go Mac is a huge step in the right direction. From what I've heard of the current Vista users, it's working completely normally so far and it is also fully supported by Parallels also.
QUOTE Thanks
Tak

Tak is a jewel in the roughTak is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server

I went the extra mile and got the MacBook Pro I'm very pleased, and very fussy.

And lastly I said, If I'm paying THAT much I wanted a DECENT video chipset!

The one thing I cant forgive MAC for is they put an intel integrated Video chipset With SHARED VIDEO MEMORY YET in a $1300 notebook. NO decent PC manufacturer would have the nerve to put that kind of Junk in a notebook that much over a thousand. Thats purely for the -$900 student books.

Its MAC sleezing you into spending an extra grand, it kept me from buying in a LOT longer than I would have. In the end I wasn't willing to spend performance price for a no performance video solution. If you are going to make the investment, save, wait and get the Pro, its worth the difference.

Otherwise I'd still be running my Dell with Ubuntu.
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

I agree with Tak and Fleurya.

Wait and get he MBP over the MB. The performance difference is great, and like Tak said, althought the MB is a solid machine, I'm completely ashamed of Apple for putting 64 mb of integrated video memory onto that computer.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

If you've already got a Windows box for games, I would go for the MacBook. The video card is the main advantage of the MacBook Pro and you don't seem to need it. You might as well save the money and get a more portable laptop in the process.
QUOTE Thanks
Bloodborne

Bloodborne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

I decided on a MacBook for college for the very reasons you gave. Also, if you don't have a lot of money to throw around, it is the cheapest Mac laptop. I've been having a great experience with mine so far (it is my first Mac). Unless you will be playing significant amounts of 3D games, I'd say go for the MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

All of my recent travels have had me thinking that I need a portable to take with me when I travel. I initially started down the same route, thinking that a MacBook would be a nice low cost alternative that would meet the need well. But for all the reasons fleurya mentions, I have decided on a MBP. I am waiting for Leopard to be released before I buy, but as soon as it is out, I will pick one up. So, clearly, an MBP would be my recommendation. The 15" seems a nice compromise between functionality, size and weight.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Bloodborne

Bloodborne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

I would agree, if you have the money get a MacBook Pro. I do wish I had one, but my MacBook suffices well for me, and since I also have my old gaming PC I can hop on if I want to play some graphics intensive games. My MacBook has become my main machine, though.
QUOTE Thanks
Resident56

Resident56 is on a distinguished road

The MBP configured how I like it is $400+ dollars when its all said and done. I dont think I could justify the money on a 128mb video card. Thanks for your experience and advice; if anyone else has any suggestions let me know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm sorry I teased Mac users. "Eating crow, and the many ways its served" | Countdown To The Big Switch »