New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

backlight dims

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kathie

I'm guessing it is normal for my screen to get dim when I don't use the computer for a set period of time, right? I browsed a few Help files and didn't see any explanations. I read another post in which the person was able to keep track of how many hours the bulb had been used. What happens down the road if the bulb burns out? Sounds like a tricky item to get replaced.
Call me 'curious Kat'.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie
I'm guessing it is normal for my screen to get dim when I don't use the computer for a set period of time, right? I browsed a few Help files and didn't see any explanations. I read another post in which the person was able to keep track of how many hours the bulb had been used. What happens down the road if the bulb burns out? Sounds like a tricky item to get replaced.
Call me 'curious Kat'.
Well curious Kat, you can adjust those settings using the "Energy Saver" menu. If you're running OS X, you have two ways of accessing it. First, if you have the battery level icon in the menu bar, click on it and select Open Energy Saver... You are then able to adjust many variables as far as power usage, or set it to Automatic, which will provide high performance while plugged in and long battery life while running on battery. The other way to access the Energy Saver would be to click on System Preferences (either from the Dock or from the little Apple in the left most side of the menu bar.

As for monitoring how long the screen has been lit, I honestly don't know, but yes, it's a somewhat involved repair. I wouldn't worry about it though, just allow the display to sleep when you can.

I just noticed you're using a 17" iMac, so you're definitely using OS X, and disregard my comments about battery power. Now that I think of it, I'm not entirely certain that desktops have the Energy Saver feature.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Actually, Desktop Macs do have the Energy Saver, which includes all of the brightness, sleep, etc. I am not to sure of the avtualy difference between the NoteBook's energy saver and the desktop's energy saver.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

On a PowerBook, there are options to Optimize Energy Settings (Highest Performance, Longest Battery Life, DVD Playback, Presentations and Custom)

If you set it to Custom, you can have different performance settings for Power Adapter and Battery Power, you can tweak other settings too.

And a calculator thing appears, telling how much estimated battery life you'll get on that particular setting. But when it's plugged in, it'll only display the charge. ie 99%
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« KVM switch | Download Music in Canada? »