New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Played with MacBook today @ CompUSA, volume seems VERY low

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

I played with the MacBooks today at CompUSA, and the volume seems VERY low. Where are the speakers located on the MacBook? I checked the volume control, and it was maxed out.

Is this a common complaint about the MacBook? I tested (3) MacBooks and (2) MacBook Pros.

My wifes laptop is a Compaq R3000Z, and the speakers are JBL Pro. They sound great, and are very loud (we usually have the volume 1/2 way).

So far this is one of my major complaints, next to no expandable slot.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

My only complaint is the volume. Everything else rocks.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

macbook speakers are pretty quiet, they are located in the back on the sides and reflect off of the lcd/lcd frame.

if you need louder sound, you will need headphones, or an external speaker set.

i've got these and they sound great...

though i did just try them hooked to the top of the macbook, and they are just a touch heavy to have the macbook screen tilted back too much. normally i use them on a desk anyway, but i thought i'd give the lcd mount a try. the nice thing about these is that they have fantastic sound for their size, and are usb powered.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
zyepod

zyepod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 500GB HDD OSX Mt. Lion

The sound is a bit low. At home I have some externals hooked up...
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Yes, the external sound is a bit on the low side, especially on the MacBook. The MacBook pros have their speakers mounted in the grills next to the keyboard, where the MacBooks have their speakers mounted in the little exhaust port line beneath the screen on the back/bottom of the computer. I think this gives the MacBook pro a slight advantage, though it wouldn't surprise me if the speakers were the same...the only difference being placement.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
Yes, the external sound is a bit on the low side, especially on the MacBook. The MacBook pros have their speakers mounted in the grills next to the keyboard, where the MacBooks have their speakers mounted in the little exhaust port line beneath the screen on the back/bottom of the computer. I think this gives the MacBook pro a slight advantage, though it wouldn't surprise me if the speakers were the same...the only difference being placement.
Yea, i notice only a slight increase in volume on the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

I don't think Apple had speaker quality in mind when they built any of their computers. I think they're there for simple task, chat, scanning music and news stories and such, and rightly so. I have headphones, a home stereo and an ipod. I didn't expect apple to build me a stereo along with my macbook just because I paid $1500. And I don't expect my tv to produce cinema quality sound from it's speakers either.

Anyway, hope that didn't sound to snotty!:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I usually don't mind it. Whenever my MBP is sitting on my desk, I have it hooked up to my 5.1 surround sound. Usually when I have it with me on my lap or somewhere like the school library, I almost ALWAYS have headphones on.

In the near future, I will be getting an iPod Nano, and I will use that to listen to music if I want to conserve battery life on my MBP. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

i am sure they are, remeber the person who sued Apple cause they hurt their ears with an ipod cause the volume could go so hi.

i do find many laptops speakers arent too loud, but just enough to do, using itunes and music it is loud, but playing DVD's is quiter.
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

Thanks for the responses. This wont hold me back from buying a MacBook. I would use headphones most of the time.
QUOTE Thanks
Smell The Glove

Smell The Glove will become famous soon enough

A lot of notebooks may have subpar sound, both pc and Mac. An external pair can do amazing things to the sound of your system.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

Thanks, everyone, for answering my question about whether the MB or MBP has better speakers without my having to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

actually, since the 10.4.9 upgrade, macbook speakers seem to have gotten much louder. i'd guess that the mbp still has better speakers, but that's like saying a toyota corolla is a better car than a ford focus. it may be true, but you're still not dealing with high performance machines.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
TheThirdMan

TheThirdMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz

Who uses their laptop speakers for anything other than desktop sounds!? If you listen to music, you should buy some speakers!
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

They're not the loudest for sure, but me and the lady have been able to watch a few films/shows without any issues about the sound. In a noisier area I'd just go for earphones, perhaps it seemed worse as it was in the store with all the background noise?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you hookup a digital piano? | Help Me Pick The Right Mac »