New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

unable to install firefox downloaded today

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gvijaypurkar

gvijaypurkar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb

just got my new macbook and tried to install firefox. it downloaded firefox 2.0.0.2.dmg but when i double click on that file on the dekstop, it says not recognised. please help. Also how do i find out the speed of my wireless connection. I can see I am connected but cannot find the speed. Thanks very much.
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan

Brendan is a jewel in the roughBrendan is a jewel in the rough

Do you know how to install programs on a Mac? You said your MacBook is new, so I am assuming that you don't.

Here is a video with instructions on how to install Firefox:
Intalling Firefox on Mac OSX

Here is the file:
Firefox for OSX

Brendan Welsh
Aluminum Macbook Owner
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If the .dmg file is not recognized, it is probably a bad download. Delete it and try downloading again.
edit: follow bendan's links

For internet connection speed, try speedtest.net

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

did you download it from a google search or just firefox.com?

firefox.com automatically knows that you are accessing it from a mac and gives you the proper download
QUOTE Thanks
gvijaypurkar

gvijaypurkar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb

It was a bad download..For somereason my download completed but with only 1.5 meg instead of the 17.2 meg..I did it again this morning and it worked. For some reason some of the websites were taking to long to open as well last night.. Looks like my netgear 11g router was having a slow connection that worked after my nightly reset.

THanks for your responses. Going to install open office tonight. Brilliant kit by the way. My first mac (2Ghz 2GB macbook in white). At work now but can't wait to get back and play some more..
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

also, have you tried Safari? You may like it.

welcome to the forums!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Jakee

Jakee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Specs: MacBook Intel CD 2GHz, 2G, 120G (White)

like a fool i deleted Safari when i started using my mac and installed firefox.. now im feeling a little more comfy with my mac i wanna give it another go.. thing is the link on the apple site doesnt seem to work with OSX 10.4.8
anyone have a link where i can get a working verson?
Ps sry to hijack the thread..
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Pacifist.
QUOTE Thanks
neyoung

neyoung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakee View Post
like a fool i deleted Safari when i started using my mac and installed firefox.. now im feeling a little more comfy with my mac i wanna give it another go.. thing is the link on the apple site doesnt seem to work with OSX 10.4.8
anyone have a link where i can get a working verson?
Ps sry to hijack the thread..
did you actually delete it or did you just move it off the dock? Most likely you just removed it from the dock and its still on your system. You can find it in /Applications

Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at
Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project
QUOTE Thanks
Jakee

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyoung View Post
did you actually delete it or did you just move it off the dock? Most likely you just removed it from the dock and its still on your system. You can find it in /Applications
nope i wish that was the case.. deleted it thinking i'll never use it again.
seems its not as easy as just downloading it again!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Get your Mac OS X install disk and the pacifist software MacHeadCase mentioned. That way you can open the pkg files on the CD and look for Safari in there.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Jakee

tried this today and opened up but couldnt see safari in there.. just all the other apps like idvd, photobooth etc. anyone know where abouts the file is?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Click on Pacifist's Open Apple Install Packages bar, then OK on the window that says "Please choose the Apple install package to open:" Only one is listed in the window from my Tiger DVD.

After you've grown old waiting for all the packages to open, and if the triangle at the top next to "Contents of OSInstall.mpkg" isn't pointing down with more files showing, click on it.

Then click on the triangle next to "Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware." On my DVD, "Contents of Safari.pkg" is near the bottom. You can right-click on that to install everything to the default location. Overwriting any Safari files remaining on your machine is OK.

Apple's software updates have put Safari at 2.0.4, but the one on my DVD is only at 2.0. But that's better than the 1.2 or whatever it is on Apple's download site.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvijaypurkar View Post
Also how do i find out the speed of my wireless connection. I can see I am connected but cannot find the speed. Thanks very much.
Go to Applications and the Utilities folder and click on Network Utility. The very first Tab is Info. Be sure you have the right Network Interface selected and it will tell you your connect (link) speed.

Below is a Pic for an example. I am connected at 54Mb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (21.7 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Jakee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Click on Pacifist's Open Apple Install Packages bar, then OK on the window that says "Please choose the Apple install package to open:" Only one is listed in the window from my Tiger DVD.

After you've grown old waiting for all the packages to open, and if the triangle at the top next to "Contents of OSInstall.mpkg" isn't pointing down with more files showing, click on it.

Then click on the triangle next to "Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware." On my DVD, "Contents of Safari.pkg" is near the bottom. You can right-click on that to install everything to the default location. Overwriting any Safari files remaining on your machine is OK.

Apple's software updates have put Safari at 2.0.4, but the one on my DVD is only at 2.0. But that's better than the 1.2 or whatever it is on Apple's download site.
thanks bro worked a treat. :spook:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powermac g4 or imac g3??? | Spyware and Adware? »