New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

DVD Player

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

judvard

judvard is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Just got my first mac (Late 06 black macbook) having been drooling since first seeing one in August.

I think I have made a very foolish mistake, as follows;

I deleted (and emptied the trash) DVD player, and now I'd like to reinstall it (That's the last time I'll be so hasty)
I have a dvd player 4.6 update file from apple which I ran on a whim, it said I couldn't update because I had a later version of DVD player.
I've also searched spotlight for any trace of dvd player, with none found.

I also tried to reinstall dvd player from the OS x install disk, but couldn't find it listed under bundled apps!

At the moment I'm using vlc, which is ok, but it's just a matter of preference in wanting dvd player (even quicktime would be ok). Am I doomed to live without DVD Player? Or is there an avenue I haven't explored?

p.s bring on time machine!
p.p.s is there any way of playing a dvd through quicktime without having to open the ifo files? i.e. simply?

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

Check this program out, it plays almost anything.

VLC
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Umm, he said he's using VLC right now. He wants to get DVD Player back.

You can download the latest version of DVD Player from Apple's site right here.
QUOTE Thanks
judvard

Thanks for the replies, I've tried downloading the latest version of DVD player, but on selecting the destination drive I get the error;

You cannot install DVD Player on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists on this volume

Macintosh HD also has a red exclamation mark on it :O

Again, I've searched with spotlight and in finder for any remains of dvd player, with none found.

:S
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

What Version of OS X are you running 10.4.7 or 10.4.8.... I'll archive my DVD player and email it to you. What is your email addy? You can PM me if you like.

Welcome to Mac-Forums and Congrats on the Mac!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Ok... I just emailed it to you... Follow the instructions to open it, and let us know if it works.
QUOTE Thanks
judvard

Worked perfectly!

Another triumph! I could just imagine the .dll trouble of trying to do that on a Windows based machine.

Thanks very much RIDE!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If ever you get in a tight spot and need to re-install just a piece of OS X from your install disk, Pacifist is a godsend.

Welcome aboard, judvard!
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

wow i got a negative rep for suggesting VLC. i understand it was not a full on solution for the problem BUT it would play dvds just like dvd player.

edit: okay so he is using it, i made a mistake. neg rep me for it? boo to you....

you know who you are
QUOTE Thanks
Shane Martin

Shane Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
What Version of OS X are you running 10.4.7 or 10.4.8.... I'll archive my DVD player and email it to you. What is your email addy? You can PM me if you like.

I've had exactly the same situation as judvard when I tried to install the update from apple. I'm running Osx 10.4.11 and it's saying I have a later version already installed. When I do a hard drive search, all I can find relating to the dvd player, is a dvd player folder in Application support, and in that folder are 2 folders. One called Scripts, which is empty, and the other called Settings, which contains many items like this: 427c235a30c6fa13.plist
That's it......Any chance you could email me as well. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ingrid48

ingrid48 is on a distinguished road

Not a reply but another question. I'm using OSX10.3.9 and DVD player Version 4. I want to bookmark some DVD's for a talk, but when I go into 'control', the 'add bookmark' and 'edit bookmark' selection are greyed out.
Any ideas what I can do to get them to work? Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
diamanteskies

diamanteskies is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I did the exact same thing... can someone help me out with this??
I have a OS X 10.5.8...
QUOTE Thanks
alexh

alexh is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm stuck with the same problem. Would you mind helping me out too?
I'm Running 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Pacifist is still what you want when you need to reinstall just a piece of the OS.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
alexh

alexh is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the pacifist tip. It seems great but i can't figure out how to use it to solve my problem.
Okay... So I have DVD Player 5.0.3
It won't play any of my DVDs (ERROR: -70001)
I've tried installing updates 4.6 and 4.6.1 and on selecting the destination drive i get...
(You cannot install DVD Player on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists on this volume)
Deleting DVD Player 5.0.3 doesn't solve the problem and now I'm stuck! VLC isn't working for me either.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro almost full | Voice Over Utility »