New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Widgets on Desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

Did I imagine this?

I'm sure I seen it, at least I think I've seen it, where a widget appears actually on the desktop rather than dashboard.

In particular the one I've seen (I think it must be a widget) is where the album artwork appears on the desktop of the current song playing in iTunes.

Is such a thing possible? Does anyone know what this widget/thingy is or where I can download it if it's not a widget?

If it is a widget is it possible to put any widgets on the desktop, if so how and are there any negative effects on system performance/stability?
QUOTE Thanks
BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver will become famous soon enough

http://developer.apple.com/technotes...9.html#TNTAG13

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - Edward R. Murrow
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Either developer mode or Amnesty Singles.
The nice thing about Amnesty Singles is that the Dashboard process doesn't keep running as it does with the dev mode hack.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

bring up dashboard, bring up that little widget bar thingy, click and drag the widget u want, and press F12 (or w/e makes ur dashboard go away) while still holding the widget and it should go on ur desktop...it will only stay there until the next time u bring up dashboard, unless of course u download "ToggleWidgetOnTop", a free app that lets u permanently keep widgets on ur desktop

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Narf's correct, as of 10.4.5, I believe, you can simply drag them from the Dashboard to the desktop.

No app necessary.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
Narf's correct, as of 10.4.5, I believe, you can simply drag them from the Dashboard to the desktop.

No app necessary.
This works, but I find the widget on the desktop disappears if I go into dashboard again, or if the screensaver invokes.

I don't really want to download another application just to keep a widget on the desktop; I'd rather have an option on the widget itself.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver will become famous soon enough

To get a widget off of the Dashboard and onto your desktop, just do the following:

- Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).
- Begin dragging the widget.
- Press F12 again, before letting go of the mouse button and drop the widget wherever you want.

You can repeat this for as many widgets as you like.

courtesy of fellow Mac forum :yinyang:

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - Edward R. Murrow
QUOTE Thanks
mruggles67

mruggles67 is on a distinguished road

Widget keeps popping up as I did not command or do anything. Is there a way to keep this happening. It does drive me crazy. I am sure there is a setting that I need to set so I can manually command to have the widget come up (F12 button)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I do a hard reset? | *****x »