New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

sharing an external HD between mac/win

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maanico1

maanico1 is on a distinguished road

i just recently purchased a 250gb HD, and for some reason was completely oblivious to the fact that they read/write to different formats. Is there anyway that I can just easily swap usb to usb?
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

Format the drive as FAT32 as both your Mac and PC and read and write to that or format it as HFS+ and buy a copy of MacDrive for your PC.

I'd go with the later as it's more secure and efficient

HTH
QUOTE Thanks
maanico1

maanico1 is on a distinguished road

doesnt fat32 only support 32gb partitions at a time or something? and files above 4gbs cant be created. or was someone pulling my leg?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

There is no partition size limit that I am aware of, but there is a file size limit. I *think* it is 2 Gb.

By the way, Peakoverload has good advice - use HFS+ and get MacDrive for your PC. HFS+ is a much better file system - it supports file ownership and permissions (important security considerations) AND it is journalled, making it far more resistant to corruption caused by things like sudden power failures, and faster to auto recover from any corruption that may occur due to other causes. Plus of course, it is the best supported file system on the Mac!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by maanico1 View Post
doesnt fat32 only support 32gb partitions at a time or something? and files above 4gbs cant be created. or was someone pulling my leg?
Formatting a drive to FAT32 under Windows will only let you go up to 32gb.. That's why you need a program like Partition Magic to format the entire thing.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The drive will certainly do more. I am presently doing a backup of my work PC onto a USB external FAT32 drive which is 80 GB. Not sure where I formatted it though!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« YouTube has stopped working | Possible to stop grouping program windows? »