New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching Soon - Software (Photoshop) Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sondratheloser

Sondratheloser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Not yet! Still too poor!

I'm going to buy on/after the 15th when I get paid again. I've never used a mac before, or even seen one in person (smallll town), so bear with me.

Right now, I have a practically brand-new copy of Photoshop CS2 (Had it for a while, but just recently opened/installed). On the box, it says "built for windows XP" so I'm taking it that it won't be installable on my Macbook. Is there anywhere I can send it back and get the mac version, trade it somewhere, or else just download via Bittorrent or Adobe.com and use my serial number?

I have the same problem with office. I have office 2003, still with the box and all the papers, just installed last week on my PC. erk. My dad got them for me with an education discount from the college he works at, and even though I didn't pay for them (he did), I really don't want to buy new ones.

Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

No... The Windows versions of the software will not load on Mac OS X... BUT, you could load them through Parallels or bootcamp (running XP) if you really need them.

Your CS2 serial will only work on your Windows version... CALL Adobe, and see if they will swap it out for the Mac version for you... I have heard of companies doing this before. IF the CS2 is unopened (sealed) take it back.

Your Dad's college may have a discount on MS Office for Mac... I have seen College Bookstore prices on this as low as $5... so have him check.

WELCOME to Mac-Forums!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sondratheloser

Thanks for your help -- I figure I can easily live without Office, using webapps or some open source something or other, but for Photoshop, I guess calling Adobe is going to be my best bet, unless my dad can trade it at the bookstore or something.

My school bookstore doesn't have software of any kind, or I would try that.

If I use something like Wine or Crossover Office, am I going to see a big drop in performance? I'm planning on getting the 2 GHz intel core 2 duo with 1gb memory, and 80gb hard drive.

I would use bootcamp, except for having to buy windows, since it just came installed on my crappy dell.

I'm probably going to wait it out even a bit longer, and shell out extra for the 120gb hard drive instead of the 80...
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Don't bother with CS2 - it's not a Universal application and doesn't run very well on Intel Macs.

CS3 comes out in a couple of months though.

Talk to Adobe and see if you can upgrade CS2 to CS3 Mac in a few months.

Otherwise, I'd put CS2 on ebay and use the money towards buying CS3.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I read somewhere in Mac-Forums that Adobe has a program for cross-platform upgrading. Search the forums here, I'm sure you'll find it. Adobe just doesn't advertise it.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Sondratheloser, WELCOME to Mac Forums!!

Adobe does have a trade over program for Windows to Mac. I used it myself when I switched about 10 months ago.

In summary, you call Adobe's 1-800 customer service number, get a customer service agent, and explain that you want to transfer your existing CS2 license from Windows to Mac. They email/fax you a form, which you fill out and sign and send back to them. This form certifies that you have uninstalled your Windows version AND destroyed the media. When they receive the form, they ship you out a fresh copy of CS2 for the Mac.

The whole process took me about two weeks, most of that shipping delay. Adobe was VERY helpful and very supportive.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Adobe Customer Service: 800-833-6687
QUOTE Thanks
Sondratheloser

Thanks for the help and welcomes everyone

I will definitely call them tomorrow and hopefully get things sorted out!

For office, I figure I'll probably sell my copy on ebay, and just use OpenOffice/NeoOffice. Anyone had any experiences with those programs?

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Which Office apps do you need? NeoOffice is a good suite, and reasonably compatible with MS-Office, but like MS-Office, it is big and slow.

You may wish to consider Abiword for an MS-Word replacement. See www.abisource.com. Abiword is small, fast and can read/write .doc files.

You may also wish to consider a web based approach to Office suites. Two notables:
1/ The new Google Apps package for doc/spreadsheet

2/ Thinkfree Office (www.thinkfree.com) which is a free web based suite.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Refurb or new? | MSN File transfer »