New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My first time at this site and I joined right up!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sanjef

Ya know, I'm not even a Mac owner yet - well, that's not entirely true. A few years ago, a friend of mine gave me her supposedly broken Mac SE. She told me if I could get it to work, I could keep it. I did 2 minutes worth or research on the startup error it was producing and fixed it. The darn thing runs fine today - and it was built in 1984!

I've owned, built and upgraded PCs since Windows 3.11 and have come "this close" to buying a Mac every time I needed to upgrade. Problem is, the software I'd been accumulating all this time makes it difficult to justify switching. I know the Mac comes with practically everything I could want to run - and I could install Open Office to handle "those" needs, but there's still a good deal of money separating me from becoming a switcher. I also know that my desire to move my wedding VHS tape to DVD will be practically pain-free on a Mac.

You see, I've assembled a nice little package of reasons to get a Mac. Not that XP has been a nightmare - it's actually doing quite well - although it *is* in need of a reformat to bring back that original spunk it once had when I first installed it.

Question: do Macs require a reformat every year or so to keep them running fast?

Anyway, the last thing that keeps me chained to Windows (and the cheaper hardware it runs on) is I seem to keep waiting for Apple to create "my machine." I fell in love with the iMac but I would want to see a G5 under the hood. I know they're eventually coming out with a laptop G5 so it might not be that far off. I love the versatility and expandibility of the Power G5 but not the price tag. I like the idea of having a portable solution like the iBook or the PowerBook - but can I run my VHS-to-DVD conversion through such a small machine? What would I sacrifice (in the way of time and overall experience) if I were to "settle" for an iMac or an Apple laptop as opposed to getting a G5 tower?

This site rocks!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjef
Question: do Macs require a reformat every year or so to keep them running fast?
This site rocks!
This is one of the things uniquely doz only. Format of that type is not needed! Repair permissions after every software update and about every 2 weeks. Run crons and you're good to go! They don't even need to be rebooted every hour or so like doz- my Mac has been booted since right after Christmas :p It's a night and day improvement! BTW Welcome to the forums! I love it here!
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjef
Anyway, the last thing that keeps me chained to Windows (and the cheaper hardware it runs on) is I seem to keep waiting for Apple to create "my machine." I fell in love with the iMac but I would want to see a G5 under the hood. I know they're eventually coming out with a laptop G5 so it might not be that far off. I love the versatility and expandibility of the Power G5 but not the price tag. I like the idea of having a portable solution like the iBook or the PowerBook - but can I run my VHS-to-DVD conversion through such a small machine? What would I sacrifice (in the way of time and overall experience) if I were to "settle" for an iMac or an Apple laptop as opposed to getting a G5 tower?

This site rocks!
Remember, "cheaper" also means "sooner to need replacement"
If you get a laptop, you may have to buy an external analog-DV converter, but I'd suggest doing more research on PowerBooks 1st (they may have come w/ the necessary video connections).
Laptop G5's, if/when they actually come out, will be pricey.
I'm expecting the iMac's to be upgraded to G5's in 6-9 mos.

If you "settle" for a G4 iMac/laptop vs. the G5 tower, you'll still have a decent machine, but lose internal drive capacity, max RAM, slower system bus/processor/RAM/HD and VIDEO card options.

If you don't want to wait for the hardware updates, try looking into a used G4 tower....they're priced in the range of a new iMac/laptop, and have extra expansion slots and bays.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I go not think you will see an G5 iMac until after the powerbook has a G5 in it.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I agree with that!
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

As The Apple Turns has a nice summary of when various people are expecting new hardware. It's a great site and I find myself reading it every day If the story isn't on the front page when you get there, go down to the bottom and click 'yesterday's episode'.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamorro
If you get a laptop, you may have to buy an external analog-DV converter, but I'd suggest doing more research on PowerBooks 1st (they may have come w/ the necessary video connections).
I have a Powerbook, and the converter came with it.
QUOTE Thanks
sanjef

Well, economics won out again. I ended up purchasing about $900 in screaming PC technology and built myself a new box. I'm sure I'll continue to browse this (and other) Mac forums as I consider how the other side lives. Right now, I'm happily installing tons of software and music on my new P4 2.8 Hyper-Threading, 1G RAM, 800 FSB, 120GB HD PC <sigh>.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Enjoy it! Or use it.. hmm.. I didn't really enjoy my experience when I use to work on PC's.. so maybe enjoy it isnt the proper wish.. or maybe it is

Anyways.. maybe next time.. hopefully it does everything you need!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Hope you have a great time with it... have you plans to use Linux or just doz? curious
QUOTE Thanks
sanjef

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Hope you have a great time with it... have you plans to use Linux or just doz? curious
I'm not going to partition but I may use my old 17GB drive to play with Linux. My experience with the Linux desktop shows that it leaves much to be desired. Mac OS was my only other "real" alternative to 'doz
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Yeah I ended up feeling the same way. So my complete switch to Mac is the happiest computing experience ever
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sound | FTP server »