New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Refurb or new?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thoras_herd

thoras_herd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 80GB, 1GB, Superdrive

I currently use a PC and am almost decided on switching to a MAC (about 80% there). My budget will allow me to buy a refurb Macbook or if I really pushed it and I could go for a new Macbook.

The refurb one has the following spec and costs £599:

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White
  • 13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
  • 1280 x 800 resolution
  • 512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
  • 60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
  • SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Built-in iSight camera

I guess I don't need to list the spec of the £749 Macbook.

I would like to know what the general consensus is on buying a refurb Mac. Do they die after the year's warranty runs out? Can they be considered reliable? Or should I break the bank slightly and go for new? I really appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

I'm the owner of a refurb MacBook and I am very happy with it.

With regards to warranty; you can buy Apple Care which will give you up to 3 years coverage - might help you sleep at night You do not need to buy the warranty at the same time as the MacBook so get the best MacBook you can now and then in a few months (or any time within the 1st 12 months of you owning the MacBook) you can buy Apple care to give you 2 further years of coverage.

The spec you're looking it will be nice the RAM is the only real draw back there and you may want to invest in more RAM at some point in the future (depending very much on what you want to use your MacBook for).

Refurbs are a good buy.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I have a feeling you can't buy AppleCare for refurb items. Might be wrong, but check it out...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Other than the box it came in you'd never tell my MBP 17" was a refurb - it was in perfect condition. Apple have so much confidence in refurbs that you get the same warranty as a regular Mac, including the option to buy three years worth.
QUOTE Thanks
thoras_herd

i checked with apple yestrday and was told i had the option to buy the three year warranty with a refurb - didn't ask whether i could buy it at a later date though., makes sense to buy it after 11 months of ownership i would imagine.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Apple Certified Refurbished Products

- Quality products/great prices
- Stringent refurbishment process prior to sale
- Covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty
- AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased
- Supplies are limited
If you click on more info under any of the refurb products you will see the above quote about 1/2 way down page
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoras_herd View Post
i checked with apple yestrday and was told i had the option to buy the three year warranty with a refurb - didn't ask whether i could buy it at a later date though., makes sense to buy it after 11 months of ownership i would imagine.
There is an argument for buying it as close to the orig purchase date as possible. The original warranty only gives you 90 days telephone support - where as AppleCare gives you 3 years telephone support so buying AppleCare after 11 months means that you missed out on ~ 9 months telephone support. Of course most people probably don't need telephone support that often anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
thoras_herd

thanks - do most people purchase Apple Care? when i got my PC i purchased a pricey care plan and never used it.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
If you click on more info under any of the refurb products you will see the above quote about 1/2 way down page
I stand corrected. Hadn't spotted that before despite looking!

Makes refurbs more attractive. Anyone bought a refurb iMac?

Buying tomorrow!

EDIT: actually, I don't know whether it'd be worth it; refurbs don't come with wireless keyboard and mouse and I'd have to add more RAM as they tend to have 1gb...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
thoras_herd

does the wireless keyboard and mice come packaged with new macbooks then? i did not now that. and what is 'apple remote'?
thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

A refurb comes with all accessories that come with a new product - the ONLY differences are that you MAY get a brown box instead of a pretty box and you WILL save money.

IF the iMac was originally sold with a wireless keyboard/mouse - then the refurb will come with it as well.

No wireless keyboard/mouse with macbook but you will get the remote.

The difference in specs from a refurb Mac and a new Mac are because the products changed a little with the introduction of Core 2 Duo processors (the HDD sizes and default RAM changed)- so if you see a refurb iMac or MacBook or any Mac with a Core 2 Duo - then it will be exactly the same as the new version of that product - with a nice reduction in the price.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoras_herd View Post
does the wireless keyboard and mice come packaged with new macbooks then? i did not now that. and what is 'apple remote'?
thanks,
No Keyboard/mouse with new MacBook.

The apple remote is a .. well its a .. Remote

It kind of looks a little like the first iPod Shuffles it allows you to control your MacBook from a distance so for example you can press the menu button and a screen pops up [frontrow] allowing you to choose from Music, Movies, Photos and DVDs.

You select Photos with the remote control and then you can either just have a slide show or use the remote to skip through the pictures to something you want to show someone.

You can also point the remote at the MacBook and hold the Play/Pause button for about 5 seconds and it will send the MacBook to sleep.

It's quite cool actually - especially for showing people your photo albums or skipping through your music collection.

EDIT:

Check this video on YoutTube of the Apple Remote in use with a MacBook:

Clicky
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Get the refurb. I absolutely love my refurbed macbook. It looks absolutely brand new. refurbs come with the exact same warranty, accessories, support as a new apple does. The only difference is the box.
QUOTE Thanks
Sachsr1

Sachsr1 has a spectacular aura about

The only reason you may want to get a newer core 2 dou is the wireless N built-in. That is if you think you are gonna want that. If not then go for the refurb.
QUOTE Thanks
thoras_herd

i like the idea of a remote! another thing that swings me towards MACs.

exscuse me again but what is 'wireless N'? i thought the macbook was wireless as standard?

yes I am a complete MAC novice! :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring Data by USB from Windows to Mac - Permissions Issues | Switching Soon - Software (Photoshop) Question »