New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

13" screen big enough?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scottemcc

scottemcc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: don't have one yet!

hi there, i'm new to the forums and will be new to Mac in 2 months (pc user all my life)! what i am wanting to know is, is the 13" Macbook screen a nice size or is it too small? Earlier today i went and looked at our local PC shop,as there are no Apple shops anywhere near my city (closest one is 6 hour drive) at laptop sizes and the 13" seemed too small. But, in the videos i've seen of the Macbook the screen looks a perfect size. i just want to know your thoughts on the Macbook screen size. oh and the MBP is a little out of my budget for now.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Le Fumeur

Le Fumeur is on a distinguished road

Not to sound like a smartalec, but it is exactly 13 inches lol. It is a little small for my needs, but perhaps you could find a PC in a store somewhere that is 13 inches and see how it feels to you. Good luck, and welcome to Macs!
QUOTE Thanks
scottemcc

scottemcc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: don't have one yet!

i'll actually need to try it out at the Apple store when i arrive in London and see if its ok, otherwise i'll get an iMac or MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
NaplesBill

NaplesBill is on a distinguished road

It's actually a 13.3" screen.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

I personally don't have a problem with it. Sometimes it can feel a little cramped when image editing etc but not enough to make it an issue. The portability of the Macbook far outweighs any (very minor) restrictions I've had with the screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky B

Ricky B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...

I've not had any problems at all with the screen size. Bigger screens are ofcourse always better, but the footprint of the machine is amazing, so I'll take a small screen over a big clumpy one.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

A quick google for laptops with 13" screens will give you lots of online price running sites - something like this clicky. What you want to do is take down a few of the non-macbook product names and see if you can see any of those in your nearest PC shop as this may give you a fair idea of what you'll have with a MacBook.

(Oh yeah it is the 13.3" size you want to compare - and make sure it is a widescreen)

If you can wait till you get to the Apple Store in London (UK?) then that'd probably be the best thing to do I guess.

Anyway - my personal experience - the screen size is great - I really like it.

You might want to try and set your desktop resolution to 1280x800 as this is the resolution of the MacBook display and this will allow you to compare the screen res to that of your current setup.
QUOTE Thanks
mikedee

mikedee is on a distinguished road

I was skeptical at first too, but now that I've been using it for about 2 weeks, I think its just fine.

13" sounds smaller than it really is, I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The actual resolution is far more important than the physical size of the screen. The resolution on the MacBook is still far higher than even some of the 15" notebooks that are sold by competitors.
Plus, you still have the option of adding a second display if you really feel the need for even more screen real estate.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've been using the Macbook for almost 3 months now and the size is just perfect, especially considering the portability of the machine.

Plus, I don't really notice a lack of screen real estate because I use VirtueDesktops with 4 virtual desktops. I have one for browsing and general use, one for iTunes, one for Adium, and one for Parallels (it's fun switching from Mac OS X to Windows in front of people, they get all mesmerized :black. Of course, I use all the desktops for other things too, but it's nice not having to minimize stuff when I can just switch to another desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
rookies

rookies is on a distinguished road

I got myself a Macbook and I did like it for it being compact but I soon swapped it over for a MBP 15" in the end while i was still in the Apple 14 days return policy. And I must say I love the MBP ALOT better
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

If it's your main and only computer, I'd say it's a bit little. If it's all you can get now, it's fine, but I need 20" to get work done. No laptop will ever help me there. I am going to buy a 13" soon though for college purposes.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I went with a used PB over a new MB just because I felt the 13" screen was way too small..

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
fragged3d

fragged3d is on a distinguished road

I have had my MB for almost 2 weeks now. My desktop at home is a dual 17" lcd setup and I absolutly love my macbook screen! I hate big notebooks too! Hope this helps in your decision.

<R>
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

if you're going to use it as a portable, taking it out nearly every day and using it on the go, it's a very good size. It's small and light enough to make taking it out not a hassle...if it will just sit on your desk and hardly every be taken out, you could probably go bigger
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Resolution.....changable on a Macbook NON Pro? | Accessing files on a Windows network »