Thread: hi everyone
03-23-2004, 12:41 AM #1meanopauseGuesthi everyone
hey everyone....1st time poster here.
i just recently bought a powerbook 1.25 and it's a great machine, i am a graphic design major and i do all my school work as well as some client stuff on it.
i was just wonderin, tax refund time is coming around and i was planning on getting a g5 for home use. i was planning on getting the dual 1.6, and i have 2 questions before i go out and splurge on a new g5:
1. do you guys know anyone that does ALL their work on their powerbooks?? and i mean ALL their work.
2. do you guys think it's worth it to buy a g5 when i do have my powerbook on me most of the time?
03-23-2004, 12:49 AM #2
As a graphic design major, the dual G5 would be a big speed advance in that app but as you clearly know, the powerbook 1.25 is quite capable of all your apps - run crons, repair permissions (all those are posted here -simple search-) and it's your choice. Heavy graphic work will run faster on the 2XG5 - you have to evaluate the need!
03-23-2004, 01:08 AM #3
- Member Since
- Jun 11, 2003
- Mount Vernon, WA
- MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
1. I do ALL my work on my powerbook and I am a web developer.
2. I guess it depends.. how much syncing do you want/need to do with your powerbook.. I know the reason I don't get a desktop is because it would be a huge pain to keep the two synced.. or more trouble then it would be worth I should say, since my powerbook does everything I need it to. I would recommend a backup drive, a very large one also, since the powerbook hard drives can't hold as much data as a desktop for obvious reasons.---> Join the Mac-Forums Folding team: use 37954 as your team number.
View Mac-Forums Folding team statistics (More Info)
Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
03-23-2004, 03:21 AM #4TylerMoneyGuest
I am also a Graphic Desing major. If i'm not on the school's computers, I'm on my powerbook. I actually find that most the time..unless I'm on the dual G4's...my powerbook is better for doing the work..and even when I'm on the dual g4's, I can't tell much of a difference, if any at all. No problems just using the powerbook...so I don't know if you want to buy the G5...they're really cool...and I'd buy one just for that...if I had money (can't even dream about G5 right now).
btw..where do you go to school?...I'm at the art istitute of pittsburgh.
03-23-2004, 03:50 AM #5StarMantaGuestOriginally Posted by meanopause
2. If you need the power, then yes. If not, no... pretty much as simple as that, in addition to what Murlyn said.
03-23-2004, 03:14 PM #6meanopauseGuest
thanks for the input guys....you have reinforced my confidence in my powerbook and i'm probably going to continue doing all my work on it, i might just end up buying a new display or an external hd or something =)
tyler...i go to the art intitute of california in orange county. I met the supply store manager from pittsburgh over the break last quarter...she's a nice lady, i belive her name was Lynn if i remember right. but if you do talk to her, tell her that the supply store staff from aica-oc says hola.
ps. good luck on finals!
03-23-2004, 05:30 PM #7meanopauseGuest
any suggestions on some nice displays out there?
03-23-2004, 06:12 PM #8TylerMoneyGuest
I think pantone has some really nice displays...but they're probably as expensive as apples. You might look into the songy displays.
and finals aren't going too bad...pretty good so far...thanks
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)