New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Furture Mac User - Many Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

futuremacuser

futuremacuser is on a distinguished road

Hi apologies if many questions are elsewhere. I have also added your beginners guides to my bookmarks for future use.

I am hopefully getting a Mac Mini but after leopard is out.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will I be able to connect to the Internet? The PC which I need on and connected in order for my current PC to get on is running Windows so will the Mac be able to connect to the net by the same way? Its broadband we use.

2. Is there any noticeable performance difference if I added a extra 512 of RAM to the Mac Mini?

3. What are the differences in graphics of a game (Sims 2 preferably) in a mac compared to a windows with its shared memory? Is it jumpy or smooth etc?

4. Will my Mac be able to communicate with every other PC in the house. Every other PC is using windows. Also the printer is connected to another computer (like the Internet), so will the Mac be able to locate this?

5. Is there any way to insert speakers into a Mac Mini as the sound is very quiet without? The speakers again are on my windows PC so would they work in a Mac?

Thanks for some answers and apologies again if this is elsewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremacuser View Post
1. Will I be able to connect to the Internet? The PC which I need on and connected in order for my current PC to get on is running Windows so will the Mac be able to connect to the net by the same way? Its broadband we use.
Yes. MacMini comes with a Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) ethernet slot. You can connect to internet just like any other PC/Mac.

Quote:
2. Is there any noticeable performance difference if I added a extra 512 of RAM to the Mac Mini?
Yes. It is a good idea to add more memory since you are planning to play games on it.

Quote:
3. What are the differences in graphics of a game (Sims 2 preferably) in a mac compared to a windows with its shared memory? Is it jumpy or smooth etc?
I don't know about this.

Quote:
4. Will my Mac be able to communicate with every other PC in the house. Every other PC is using windows. Also the printer is connected to another computer (like the Internet), so will the Mac be able to locate this?
Mac and PC communicate through SAMBA. You wont have problem connecting to the existing PCs.

Quote:
5. Is there any way to insert speakers into a Mac Mini as the sound is very quiet without? The speakers again are on my windows PC so would they work in a Mac?
MacMini has a digital audio output. You can connect external speakers.
QUOTE Thanks
whyzdom

whyzdom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig

Quote:
Hi apologies if many questions are elsewhere. I have also added your beginners guides to my bookmarks for future use.

I am hopefully getting a Mac Mini but after leopard is out.
Congrats!

Quote:
I would suggest getting a router, if your current broadband modem doesn't have one built in. Most come with a built in router now, but on the off chance yours doesn't, you may want to consider buying one.

Quote:

Ram is universal in it's importance. The more ya have, the smoother your system operates.

Quote:
See router question.. once you setup your home network (if you don't have one setup) then you should be golden.

When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Grandfather did; not screaming like all the passnegers in his car.
QUOTE Thanks
futuremacuser

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have thought of one more question

6: With the mail application in Mac OS X, will I be able to add my POP3 email account and will the Mac recognise the account if I import it into the software.

Thanks for any more replies.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, futuremacuser!

And the answer to your last question is YES you can! :girl:

Edited to add:

This is Tiger Mail.app's interface.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

And for Mail.app add-ons you can check out this website, Hawk Wings.
QUOTE Thanks
futuremacuser

Thanks for the reply.

After a crash just now from Windows, I had to switch off from the power button. Waited 30 secs then restarted now all my passwords have been deleted and the backup has lost many passwords. The Mac can't come quite soon enough.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

On the question of your POP3 email, importing your old email into Mail.app may be really easy or really challenging, depending on the email client you are using today. What client is that?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
futuremacuser

Freeuk
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I joined the club today.... bought an iMac. | Another Unhappy Windows Customer »