New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Move os from one computer to the next

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

Hey,

This may be a really stupid question,

but a friend of mine has a mac running mac os 10.2.8, and she has a different mac running 10.3,
one is significantly faster and has a bigger hard drive than the other,
and what im wondering is, is there a way to like, 'clone' the hard drive, and like, move the mac os 10.3 to the hard drive of the mac running 10.2.8?
Or like, make a mac os 10.3 cd from that mac to move all the data to the other mac?
Like,
copy the os 10.3 and move it to the 10.28 hard drive.
Can this be done?

im sorry if this isnt a clear description.

Also just a little question,

What would happen if i ran a usb cable from one mac to another?
Could i transfer files that way?

If i made a fool out of myself just now by asking those questions,

then youre getting a window of who i am ;-)

Tanner
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I don't believe that there is any way to do this. You will need to install a new Mac OS X on the more favored machine. And while you are at it, get 10.4.x, Tiger, vs. the 10.2.x and 10.3.x you mention.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Why couldnt he use something like carbon copy cloner to clone one machine and then restore onto the next?
As far as transfering files with a USB cable I dont think thats possible. Try Target Disk Mode, same principle as what you've proposeed but with a Firewire cable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another Unhappy Windows Customer | Intel Mac Emulators »