New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Please Help with Ideal BootCamp/Pararllels Scenario!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dsa420

dsa420 is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a new MBP, the 3rd Mac I have purchased in 5 years, and I am hoping this one will replace my PC. Unfortuneatley, there are still some applications that will require me to use Windows, so I am searching for the best scenario in regards to setup.

I know, the ideal set up would be not to have Windows at all, but that is not an option.

Here are the applications/uses I belive will require Windows:

1. I work for a Online Advertising Solution provider that has a web based interface. The full functionality of the interface only works in Windows. This will require the viewing of storage of flash video and animation files.

2. Office products: Outlook, and minimal use of Excel, etc.

Should I install Boot Camp or Parallels or both? Your guidance is appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
wrathlon

wrathlon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP| 2.33 15" |2 Gig|320 GiG 7200 rpm |256 MB X1600

I as well have apps that are native to Windoze for work including AutoCad , MS project, primavera , fast track and some other construction related programs. Because Autocad can really tax a system I chose to install boot camp which allows you to boot in either windoze or OSx . It works perfectly for me as it runs any windoze app I throw at it.

I dont know a lot about parallel but I believe it is an emulator and runs windows within OSX . The advantage is that you dont have to reboot to access windows and you have cross platform access instatntly . But in the past I have run emunlators and they simply would not run the programs at an acceptable speed that I became use to running these programs on a windoze machine.
So in summary if the programs you need to run in windows dont require a lot of horsepower maybe you would rather run parallel . I cant really speak for the program as i mentioned before I have not run it, but I am sure many here have .
good luck
Wrath
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Since your requirements are fairly basic, Parallels would be just perfect for you. You can run Internet Explorer to access your work webpage, and can definitely install Office.

The best part is that with the latest version of Parallels, you can have Windows programs running side by side with your Mac applications via something called Coherence mode. If you change the theme in Windows to make it look like a Mac, it'll look like Internet Explorer and Outlook are regular Mac apps :black:

Edit: Looks like wrathlon beat me by a minute and I felt compelled to touch upon the point he brought up about emulation. Since Macs are now Intel based, there is no hardware emulation required, as was the case with VirtualPC. So under Parallels, Windows will run at near native speed, which means little to no slow downs compared to a PC running Windows.

I personally have found Windows runs quite fast under Parallels. The only problem I can admit to is that my machine needs more RAM so that I can dedicate more than 256MB to Windows :bomb:
QUOTE Thanks
dsa420

dsa420 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the insight thus far, very helpfull.

Isn't there an option to run Boot Camp with in Parallels? What are the pro's and cons to this?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The latest version of Parallels allows you to virtualize your Boot Camp partition. This can be a benefit for those who want to run both Boot Camp and Parallels as you would only have to maintain a single copy of Windows rather than two different ones. I can't really think of any cons to this :bomb:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RDC From PC to Mac | Thinking of getting an airport extreme hub »