New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MAC pro noise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phil79

Phil79 is on a distinguished road

I keep reading things about the MP - "almost silent" "can't tell its on" "quietest tower i have ever heard" "have to put my ear to the case to hear anything" etc etc

Well - I bought one three weeks ago - and well, are we talking about the same machine ???

In fact I was so disappointed I sent it back and got a replacement. It is the same.

I can hear a gentle hum of the PSU and fan noise. None of the above descriptions are anything like it.

Of course these things are subjective - but it is NOT a particularly quiet machine. I have built a "quiet" machine - fanless supply and graphics - mother of all cpu heatsinks etc And that was a lot quiter than this MP.

Of course it's impossible to tell if I have had two duff machines - I really need to listen to someone else's machine and see if they are similar - it's no good going to a store because of the ambient noise.

So if anyone reads this - lives in Surrey/Berkshire in the UK - and will let me listen to their machine (or come and listen to mine) - that would be nice.

And of course all I do ow is sit here and get annoyed about the noise from this thing. :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
canonbaby

canonbaby is on a distinguished road

I don't live in the UK, but I also just switched over from a pc to a MBP, 2.16Ghz Core2Duo, and it is very quiet. Now I can still hear the fan humming, but compared to my work pc which is a dell d610 and my personal pc, a dell d810 this MBP is freakin quiet. Now if your "quiet" machine does not have any fans, of course it's not going to make any noise or it will definitely make less noise than a MBP with a fan. Anyways, hope that helps...

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

Jhorra is on a distinguished road

I think Phil79 is talking about the Mac Pro, not the Macbook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
whyzdom

whyzdom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil79 View Post
...So if anyone reads this - lives in Surrey/Berkshire in the UK - and will let me listen to their machine (or come and listen to mine) - that would be nice.

I know, I know.. bad question.. Do you live near the Dursley's on #4 Privet Drive?

ok.. bad humor... but hopefully somebody gets it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hey guys, just got my mac working, got a question :) | Hi everyone! »