New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Advice on how to best setup new computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andy Sz

Andy Sz is on a distinguished road

I am switiching to Mac from Linux and XP. Currently, my wife and I log in under the same account so neither of us has everything configured as we would like. I plan to create two user accounts and a shared folder for things like music, photos, etc. Is this the best way to set things up for two peope who will be sharing the same computer, much of the data, but like to have certain things different?

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Yes... IMO it is the best way to have it set-up... Let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

WELCOME TO MAC-FORUMS Andy!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hi Andy_Sz, welcome aboard.

You will want to check out my Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide. It contains all sorts of useful information about your new Mac, about how to do things on the Mac that you used to do on Linux, about how to run Linux apps on your Mac, and much, much more. See:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Li...linux2mac.html

Let me know if you have any comments, questions, etc.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's quite easy to share files between two users. There's a built in shared folder that you can drag to the left pane of the Finder window and then throw all your music and photos in there. Make sure you create the alias for both accounts and PRESTO, both accounts can have their own unique attributes and still share files. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
Andy Sz

Kash - Can both accounts share the same iTunes library, playlists, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Andy Sz

Mac57 - That looks like a great guide. Right now, all our music and photos are on an external hard drive formatted into two 80GB FAT32 partitions. Would you suggest copying them over on my iMac, reformatting the drive into HFS+ and then copying them back?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sz View Post
Kash - Can both accounts share the same iTunes library, playlists, etc?
I've never personally tried it, but I'm thinking it's possible if you point iTunes to the shared folder as the default folder for both accounts. Best way to find out is just try it out. If it doesn't work, you can at least share the music if not the playlists.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

What I'm hearing here is that the wife and husband can't get along.

Hehehe...j/k.

Good job man! Welcome to the forums.
QUOTE Thanks
LopsidedElf

LopsidedElf is on a distinguished road

yea its possible, and easy, just put the music in a music folder in shared and go to preferences and link itunes to the new folder, enjoy
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

sharing stuff between two users is extremely easy and a good thing to do. it also allows you both to have anything that you might consider private locked up in your own account.
-chris

ps. welcome aboard!

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook or powerbook G4 | ?'s from a PC/UNIX Admin w/ first MAC »