New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy now or wait for Leopard


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
kris182

 
Member Since: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire, England
Posts: 40
kris182 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile

kris182 is offline
Hi guys,
I have recently been thinking of changing over to mac from PC and after much research I've decided to go for a 20" iMac Core Duo.
Now originally I was planning on waiting for Leopard to be released but through a company scheme i can now get the machine for 796 which is a good deal (retail price is 999.99).
Would it be better to order it now at the very cheap price or wait until Leopard comes out and then pay full price or get a refurb (will Leopard offer much more over Tiger to warrant the extra 200 quid)? The machine wouldn't be shipped until early April so if Leopard did come out between now and then would it be included?
Also does anyone know if Apple plan to release new hardware or different specs to coincide with Leopard?

Thanks

Kris
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

 
mac57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 29, 2006
Location: St. Somewhere
Posts: 4,560
mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

mac57 is offline
Apple is famously closed mouthed about their product plans, so no one can say for sure when Leopard will come out, and whether new hardware may come out in the same or similar time frame.

In general though, I would recommend "pulling the trigger" now, not later. Remember that when Leopard does come out, it will be brand spanking new. That means that it would be wise to let it mature in the market for a few months before you take it, so that you avoid any teething problems it may have.

SO, find a Mac that meets your needs and go for it now.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
todd51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I agree with mac57, go ahead and get whatever Mac you want now, and then wait until Leopard is out for a few months.

Once you finally buy Leopard, it should upgrade over Tiger just fine without any problems
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

 
walkerj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 13, 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 1,186
walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

walkerj is offline
If you're going from PC to Mac, now is as good a time as any to make the switch because Tiger is as good an OS experience as you're going to get until Leopard comes out, which will just be better.

This will give you some time to get used to the Mac way of doing things.

Besides, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll end up never buying anything. If you can save some money now, take the opportunity. Leopard isn't going to be more than $129 US when it comes out, and you can watch any issues get resolved within the comforts of your robust, well travelled Tiger using your new, awesome Mac. Then upgrade when the features entice you sufficiently.

I seem to recall that Tiger came out about three months after I bought my first Mac. I upgraded when I got my wife her first Mac (which came with Tiger) and it was great! Now we have recently purchased Macbooks which, when Leopard comes out will probably be upgraded after watching what the buzz is regarding the 'new' OS. Difference here is that most of the new features will probably be supported on this hardware, unlike with the Mac Minis we had. The new Dashboard 'ripple effect' for example was one that if you upgraded a Mini to Tiger it didn't have enough video 'oomph' to see it.

Anyway, rambling on. If you want to get a new Mac, now is as good a time as any.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

 
nukemm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 15, 2006
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 925
nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

nukemm is offline
Don't bother waiting, it could be tomorrow, or it could be six months from now. I said forget about the waiting, and couldn't be happier. I made the switch in December, and just bought my second mac, a 17" MacBook Pro, a couple of weeks ago, and love it. You will, too.


Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

 
Member Since: Apr 21, 2005
Posts: 766
CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

CrossBones is offline
Just do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

 
Digger's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 15, 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 107
Digger is on a distinguished road

Digger is offline
we just did it yesterday, I'm on our new MacBook right now, and the iMac has been ordered. the overall build of this laptop is incredible.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

 
eric's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 04, 2006
Location: twin cities, mn, usa
Posts: 8,801
eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

eric is offline
congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

 
Digger's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 15, 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 107
Digger is on a distinguished road

Digger is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!
is there any way in Safari to turn off the lines underneath the links?

in XP I had it set to 'hover to underline'.
QUOTE Thanks
Smell The Glove

 
Smell The Glove's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2007
Posts: 130
Smell The Glove will become famous soon enough

Smell The Glove is offline
Congrats. Hope you'll be happy with yours.
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

 
WasabiTaylor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 29, 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 251
WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

WasabiTaylor is offline
Personally, I would wait. There are rumors that Leopard may be out as early as March. There also may be an iMac update between now and then.

I agree that if one constantly waits for the newest thing, they'll never get anything. But a new OS won't come out again for over a year. You can definitely wait for Leopard to come out.

Also, I find that Apple is very quick in getting out the updates. There will always be bugs, but in my opinion that doesn't merit waiting for 3 months to upgrade. I think it's more fun to have it right away, and see it evolve. In my experience, the bug horror stories are rare.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeylee

 
Member Since: Oct 20, 2006
Posts: 45
mikeylee can only hope to improve

mikeylee is offline
My vote is for your to go ahead and switch now. You are looking at a great price and the Tiger is so much nicer than Windows XP. I was going through the same struggle you are before Christmas '06 over a 24" iMac. I was expecting Leopard to come out at the MacWorld and was going to wait for that. My wife went ahead and got it for me for Christmas. It was well worth getting it at that time.
mikeylee
QUOTE Thanks
papercut

 
papercut's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 01, 2006
Posts: 109
papercut will become famous soon enough

papercut is offline
I generally recommend buying a new computer when you NEED it, regardless of where it is in the lifecycle. If, however, you can wait -- then I guess you really don't need it now. In that case, we all know that Leopard is coming in the next 2 - 4 months and hardware updates are possible any time.

If your discounted price is too good to pass up, then buy now and be happy with your new computer.

papercut
--
QUOTE Thanks
Bloodborne

 
Bloodborne's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 18, 2007
Posts: 16
Bloodborne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

Bloodborne is offline
I was thinking the same thing you were back when it seemed the Core 2 Duo Macbooks were about to come out. But I decided to bite the bullet and get a 2.0 GHz Core Duo Macbook. This is an awesome machine, and I have no regrets about the Core 2 Duos coming out a few months later. Just do it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Bloodborne. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Minor problem with Photobooth | 120GB 5400rpm Vs. 160GB 7200rpm »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buy backup software or wait for Time Machine? ripfrankwhite OS X - Apps and Games 4 10-25-2006 01:43 AM
College students - buy a Mac, get an iPod Nano FREE kaidomac Apple Rumors and Reports 65 09-17-2006 09:06 AM
Intel Mac - buy now or wait Wedge Switcher Hangout 16 05-20-2006 11:24 PM
To buy or wait [iMac Intel] goobimama Switcher Hangout 8 05-09-2006 10:42 AM
Anyone want to help me make a decision on when to buy a new PB/IB? JBarbier Schweb's Lounge 2 12-27-2005 07:19 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?