New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy now or wait for Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kris182

kris182 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile

Hi guys,
I have recently been thinking of changing over to mac from PC and after much research I've decided to go for a 20" iMac Core Duo.
Now originally I was planning on waiting for Leopard to be released but through a company scheme i can now get the machine for 796 which is a good deal (retail price is 999.99).
Would it be better to order it now at the very cheap price or wait until Leopard comes out and then pay full price or get a refurb (will Leopard offer much more over Tiger to warrant the extra 200 quid)? The machine wouldn't be shipped until early April so if Leopard did come out between now and then would it be included?
Also does anyone know if Apple plan to release new hardware or different specs to coincide with Leopard?

Thanks

Kris
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Apple is famously closed mouthed about their product plans, so no one can say for sure when Leopard will come out, and whether new hardware may come out in the same or similar time frame.

In general though, I would recommend "pulling the trigger" now, not later. Remember that when Leopard does come out, it will be brand spanking new. That means that it would be wise to let it mature in the market for a few months before you take it, so that you avoid any teething problems it may have.

SO, find a Mac that meets your needs and go for it now.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I agree with mac57, go ahead and get whatever Mac you want now, and then wait until Leopard is out for a few months.

Once you finally buy Leopard, it should upgrade over Tiger just fine without any problems
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

If you're going from PC to Mac, now is as good a time as any to make the switch because Tiger is as good an OS experience as you're going to get until Leopard comes out, which will just be better.

This will give you some time to get used to the Mac way of doing things.

Besides, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll end up never buying anything. If you can save some money now, take the opportunity. Leopard isn't going to be more than $129 US when it comes out, and you can watch any issues get resolved within the comforts of your robust, well travelled Tiger using your new, awesome Mac. Then upgrade when the features entice you sufficiently.

I seem to recall that Tiger came out about three months after I bought my first Mac. I upgraded when I got my wife her first Mac (which came with Tiger) and it was great! Now we have recently purchased Macbooks which, when Leopard comes out will probably be upgraded after watching what the buzz is regarding the 'new' OS. Difference here is that most of the new features will probably be supported on this hardware, unlike with the Mac Minis we had. The new Dashboard 'ripple effect' for example was one that if you upgraded a Mini to Tiger it didn't have enough video 'oomph' to see it.

Anyway, rambling on. If you want to get a new Mac, now is as good a time as any.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Don't bother waiting, it could be tomorrow, or it could be six months from now. I said forget about the waiting, and couldn't be happier. I made the switch in December, and just bought my second mac, a 17" MacBook Pro, a couple of weeks ago, and love it. You will, too.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Just do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Digger is on a distinguished road

we just did it yesterday, I'm on our new MacBook right now, and the iMac has been ordered. the overall build of this laptop is incredible.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Digger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!
is there any way in Safari to turn off the lines underneath the links?

in XP I had it set to 'hover to underline'.
QUOTE Thanks
Smell The Glove

Smell The Glove will become famous soon enough

Congrats. Hope you'll be happy with yours.
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

Personally, I would wait. There are rumors that Leopard may be out as early as March. There also may be an iMac update between now and then.

I agree that if one constantly waits for the newest thing, they'll never get anything. But a new OS won't come out again for over a year. You can definitely wait for Leopard to come out.

Also, I find that Apple is very quick in getting out the updates. There will always be bugs, but in my opinion that doesn't merit waiting for 3 months to upgrade. I think it's more fun to have it right away, and see it evolve. In my experience, the bug horror stories are rare.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeylee

mikeylee can only hope to improve

My vote is for your to go ahead and switch now. You are looking at a great price and the Tiger is so much nicer than Windows XP. I was going through the same struggle you are before Christmas '06 over a 24" iMac. I was expecting Leopard to come out at the MacWorld and was going to wait for that. My wife went ahead and got it for me for Christmas. It was well worth getting it at that time.
mikeylee
QUOTE Thanks
papercut

papercut will become famous soon enough

I generally recommend buying a new computer when you NEED it, regardless of where it is in the lifecycle. If, however, you can wait -- then I guess you really don't need it now. In that case, we all know that Leopard is coming in the next 2 - 4 months and hardware updates are possible any time.

If your discounted price is too good to pass up, then buy now and be happy with your new computer.

papercut
--
QUOTE Thanks
Bloodborne

Bloodborne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

I was thinking the same thing you were back when it seemed the Core 2 Duo Macbooks were about to come out. But I decided to bite the bullet and get a 2.0 GHz Core Duo Macbook. This is an awesome machine, and I have no regrets about the Core 2 Duos coming out a few months later. Just do it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Bloodborne. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Minor problem with Photobooth | 120GB 5400rpm Vs. 160GB 7200rpm »