Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Buy now or wait for Leopard (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/53998-buy-now-wait-leopard.html)

kris182 02-17-2007 11:29 AM

Buy now or wait for Leopard
 
Hi guys,
I have recently been thinking of changing over to mac from PC and after much research I've decided to go for a 20" iMac Core Duo.
Now originally I was planning on waiting for Leopard to be released but through a company scheme i can now get the machine for 796 which is a good deal (retail price is 999.99).
Would it be better to order it now at the very cheap price or wait until Leopard comes out and then pay full price or get a refurb (will Leopard offer much more over Tiger to warrant the extra 200 quid)? The machine wouldn't be shipped until early April so if Leopard did come out between now and then would it be included?
Also does anyone know if Apple plan to release new hardware or different specs to coincide with Leopard?

Thanks

Kris

mac57 02-17-2007 03:48 PM

Apple is famously closed mouthed about their product plans, so no one can say for sure when Leopard will come out, and whether new hardware may come out in the same or similar time frame.

In general though, I would recommend "pulling the trigger" now, not later. Remember that when Leopard does come out, it will be brand spanking new. That means that it would be wise to let it mature in the market for a few months before you take it, so that you avoid any teething problems it may have.

SO, find a Mac that meets your needs and go for it now.

todd51 02-17-2007 09:09 PM

I agree with mac57, go ahead and get whatever Mac you want now, and then wait until Leopard is out for a few months.

Once you finally buy Leopard, it should upgrade over Tiger just fine without any problems :)

walkerj 02-17-2007 09:22 PM

If you're going from PC to Mac, now is as good a time as any to make the switch because Tiger is as good an OS experience as you're going to get until Leopard comes out, which will just be better.

This will give you some time to get used to the Mac way of doing things.

Besides, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll end up never buying anything. If you can save some money now, take the opportunity. Leopard isn't going to be more than $129 US when it comes out, and you can watch any issues get resolved within the comforts of your robust, well travelled Tiger using your new, awesome Mac. Then upgrade when the features entice you sufficiently.

I seem to recall that Tiger came out about three months after I bought my first Mac. I upgraded when I got my wife her first Mac (which came with Tiger) and it was great! Now we have recently purchased Macbooks which, when Leopard comes out will probably be upgraded after watching what the buzz is regarding the 'new' OS. Difference here is that most of the new features will probably be supported on this hardware, unlike with the Mac Minis we had. The new Dashboard 'ripple effect' for example was one that if you upgraded a Mini to Tiger it didn't have enough video 'oomph' to see it.

Anyway, rambling on. If you want to get a new Mac, now is as good a time as any.

nukemm 02-17-2007 09:45 PM

Don't bother waiting, it could be tomorrow, or it could be six months from now. I said forget about the waiting, and couldn't be happier. I made the switch in December, and just bought my second mac, a 17" MacBook Pro, a couple of weeks ago, and love it. You will, too. :)

CrossBones 02-17-2007 10:45 PM

Just do it. http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/c011.gif

Digger 02-18-2007 12:00 AM

we just did it yesterday, I'm on our new MacBook right now, and the iMac has been ordered. the overall build of this laptop is incredible.

eric 02-18-2007 12:07 AM

congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!

Digger 02-18-2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric (Post 330273)
congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!

is there any way in Safari to turn off the lines underneath the links?

in XP I had it set to 'hover to underline'.

Smell The Glove 02-18-2007 12:45 AM

Congrats. Hope you'll be happy with yours.

WasabiTaylor 02-18-2007 11:24 AM

Personally, I would wait. There are rumors that Leopard may be out as early as March. There also may be an iMac update between now and then.

I agree that if one constantly waits for the newest thing, they'll never get anything. But a new OS won't come out again for over a year. You can definitely wait for Leopard to come out.

Also, I find that Apple is very quick in getting out the updates. There will always be bugs, but in my opinion that doesn't merit waiting for 3 months to upgrade. I think it's more fun to have it right away, and see it evolve. In my experience, the bug horror stories are rare.

mikeylee 02-18-2007 11:39 AM

My vote is for your to go ahead and switch now. You are looking at a great price and the Tiger is so much nicer than Windows XP. I was going through the same struggle you are before Christmas '06 over a 24" iMac. I was expecting Leopard to come out at the MacWorld and was going to wait for that. My wife went ahead and got it for me for Christmas. It was well worth getting it at that time.
mikeylee

papercut 02-18-2007 12:07 PM

I generally recommend buying a new computer when you NEED it, regardless of where it is in the lifecycle. If, however, you can wait -- then I guess you really don't need it now. In that case, we all know that Leopard is coming in the next 2 - 4 months and hardware updates are possible any time.

If your discounted price is too good to pass up, then buy now and be happy with your new computer.

Bloodborne 02-18-2007 02:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing you were back when it seemed the Core 2 Duo Macbooks were about to come out. But I decided to bite the bullet and get a 2.0 GHz Core Duo Macbook. This is an awesome machine, and I have no regrets about the Core 2 Duos coming out a few months later. Just do it. :)

MacHeadCase 02-18-2007 02:36 PM

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Bloodborne. :girl:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.